Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   CIE tour of Ireland and Scotland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cie-tour-of-ireland-and-scotland-231367/)

xxxx Jun 15th, 2002 07:46 PM

CIE tour of Ireland and Scotland

Has anyone taken this tour? We have found that only a few tour companies combine Ireland and Scotland, and so far CIE seems to be the affordable choice with a good itinerary. I have traveled on group tours before to Italy and Australia, but neither of the companies I used for those trips have the right combination this time. We considered the fly/drive option, but I would get stuck doing the driving and would have to pay extra for an automatic. Since I want my vacation to be relatively stress-free, I prefer to take a tour on my first visit to a country and go back later on my own.

mikey Jun 15th, 2002 08:00 PM

My parents have taken several CIE tours of Ireland only and have enjoyed them as compared to some other tours they have taken

kkj Jun 15th, 2002 11:44 PM

CIE is a fabulous tour company. Very reputable and very good. I haven't taken this combination tour, but I have done their Ireland tour. it was great.<BR>CIE specializes in Ireland. Take the trip.

kkj Jun 15th, 2002 11:46 PM

CIE is a fabulous tour company. Very reputable and very good. I haven't taken this combination tour, but I have done their Ireland tour. It was great.<BR>CIE specializes in Ireland. Take the trip.<BR><BR>Only book with tour operators who are members of NTA (National Tour Association) and USTOA (United States Tour Operator Assocation). These associations are the mark of excellence in the tour industry and will offer you some protection against unscrupulous operators.

Lib Jun 16th, 2002 04:00 AM

Glad to read good reports on CIE. I did some research on this forum and I remember that other post indicated that it was a low budget tour and it did compare with Tauck Tours. I was considering it for a trip to Ireland next spring. Thanks for the positive information.

Marie Jun 16th, 2002 04:05 AM

We took CIE to Ireland, also, and loved it. I would not consider it a low budget tour company. The trip we took stayed at the same hotels and castles as Tauck. Highly recommend it. We are heading to Scotland this year and unfortunately CIE does not do a trip just to Scotland because that is who we would be using. Enjoy!

Lib Jun 16th, 2002 05:50 AM

Marie, Yes CIE does have a trip just to Scotland. I was looking at their book this morning. The trip is called "Scottish Dream". It is a nine day trip and it sounds quite nice. This information appeared in the Ireland & Britain 2002 book for CIE. I got this at my travel agents. Hope this helps.

Kathy Jun 17th, 2002 08:31 AM

I just returned last Thursday from an Ireland tour with CIE. We stayed in all 4 or 5 star hotels. If you take this tour, ask for Joe Clancy (bus driver) and Kathryn Johnston (tour director). Both are very friendly and Joe has the best sense of humor.

Frank Jun 17th, 2002 08:37 AM

Didn't tour with CIE but I did purchase a travel package with them and I found them to be very reasonably priced and very cooperative. I would reccomend.