Cicling in Greece in October of 2010

Oct 8th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Cicling in Greece in October of 2010

I was looking at a week / 10 days long cycling excursion in Greece from Turkey border to Athena in October of 2010.
I can handle 50 - 80 kilometers per day I plan to stay in my tent during night
Has anyone tried this route before? I need information about chosing place to see and stay during night. Thanks
Oct 8th, 2010, 04:15 AM

I have driven much of that route but have no advice re bicycle riding except to mention the distance is 800 km.

You mention 50-80 km a day and 10 days. So you'd be right at the edge of the envelope... a minor problem that puts you off your 80 km in a day and your schedule will be out of whack...
Oct 8th, 2010, 06:19 AM

In the event folks here do not respond, you might try the Let's Go guidebook to Greece. This series always has information on camping and tells you the facilities offered in the campgrounds.

You could also try the thorntree site where the travelers are more the hostel, camping type.

It's a long way to go in 10 days and you haven't given yourself a rest day. Nor have you given yourself much time to plan.
Oct 8th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you about information you gave. It can be more than 10 days maybe about 2 weeks. Can you explain about "the thorntree site".
Oct 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM

AKA Lonely Planet:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa

You should also try the Greece forums at http://TripAdvisor.com as they have many Greek residents who are active there.

Rob