Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Chunnel comfort question , and broadway shows experts please help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/chunnel-comfort-question-and-broadway-shows-experts-please-help-726576/)

Momof5 Aug 5th, 2007 12:55 PM

Chunnel comfort question , and broadway shows experts please help!

Hi

My girlfriends and I are taking our big trip to London and Paris next month. We are goin to take the chunnel as we have allwanted to do it. But one friend wants to go with 1st class either vomfort or proemier while the others do not want to. Since we are all using our points on this trip are costs are low. She want to splurge. WHat is the difference? I was surprised that "Freedom" is more then "COmfort". Please help us.

Also we wanted to be able to have seats facing each other to play cards is this offered with all of them?

And last but not least, if my train leaves at 6:30 what time do I leave for Waterloo and where the heck is Waterloo?

You are all so great. My friends want a wonderful experiece and they are excited about the Eurostar.

PS ANy good London shows that I must see? (seen Wicked)

Thanks again for your time.

adnil1962 Aug 5th, 2007 12:59 PM

I would recommend seeing Mamma Mia if it is still playing - a musical with ABBA songs - it's cute.

alanRow Aug 5th, 2007 01:01 PM

Waterloo is just t5o the south side of the River Thames near the London Eye. It is on every map of London created since the mid 19th century and isn't hard to find especially if you are going there for a 6:30am train when you'll be relying on a taxi to get you there - unless of course your hotel is at Waterloo or in Westminster when you can probably walk it.

For theatres it's not "Broadway" it's "The "West End". As for shows to see a lot depends what type of show - musical, drama, etc you want to see - London has the lot

PatrickLondon Aug 5th, 2007 01:19 PM

For a 2-3 hour journey, the difference in classes really doesn't justify the expense. Check the details on their website, but essentially first class gives you more space and usually a meal - what that's like at 6.30 am, I don't know.

I think I'm right in saying you would be more likely in first to have seats facing each other across a table (in standard, more seats are airline style).

I've never bothered to find out if you can ask for specific seats to enable you to sit together round a table - again, check the Eurostar website. But again, it's only for a couple of hours; and at that time of the morning, the train might well not be full and you might be able to change seats once the train's moving.

Momof5 Aug 5th, 2007 01:36 PM

Thank you for the quick info. We are going at night not morning. I just like to let me friends choose what we are going to do. SO I appreciate the details of the difference.

As far as shows are concerned. We are ging to see Spamalot and was going to see the Drowsy chaperone, but I think it left. I love both musicals and plays, plays that are not to serious I mean sad.

Thanks again
Stacey

RM67 Aug 5th, 2007 02:58 PM

I think 1st is well worth it - decent food, loads of booze inc champagne, posh magazines like Harpers and Tatler, and bigger seats.

It doesn't cost that much more than standard (tens of pounds extra, rather than the hundreds or even thousands you pay for an airline upgrade), so is one of life's affordable treats.

You can pick your seating configuration on booking - fours around a table, airline-style pairs, or singles. There's no guarantee that's what you'll get, but in my experience it usually works out.

PS No-one calls it the Chunnel...8-)

ira Aug 5th, 2007 03:30 PM

Hi M,

>one friend wants to go with 1st class either vomfort or proemier while the others do not want to. ... She want to splurge. <

Since you will all arrive at the same time, let her spend whatever she wants, while the rest of you save money.

((I))

sandra3120 Aug 5th, 2007 03:41 PM

Momof5 - here's the URL for seat plans for both Leiure Select and Business Premeire cabins: http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisur...ating_plan.jsp.

Leisure Select is the class of service your one friend would like to take, and it's the equivalent of $100 more per person to do so, currently pricing at 149GBP, as opposed to 89GBP, but that's still $300 per person with the pound at its current level of 2 dollars to the pound. The general website is www.eurostar.com. I think you said you were travelling in September, but if you are travelling later than that, be aware that Eurostar is moving its international service from Waterloo to St. Pancras. Enjoy your trip.

Sandra