Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Christmas week in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/christmas-week-in-paris-736695/)

mizilene Sep 15th, 2007 12:21 PM

Christmas week in Paris?

My 16 year old daughter and I will be in Paris December 26-31 (returning New Year's Day.) What can we expect as far as closings, etc? I know it's prime time, so would imagine that most stores/restaurants/museums will be open, but it's good to check!

Is there something special we shouldn't miss? We will be going to the ballet for sure, and hope there will be some good church concerts - other suggestions?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Underhill Sep 15th, 2007 07:55 PM

Check the web sites of any museums that interest you for opening days. Be sure to visit the large department stores (Galeries Lafayette, Au Printemps, the Bon Marché, etc.) to see the gorgeous window displays and lights in the evening. There will be a skating rink by the Hôtel de Ville and perhaps one IN the Eiffel Tower. Wander over to the Place Vendôme and the Champs-Elysées to see the trees and more lights.

Most food shops will have a display with special holiday offerings; nice to browse. Ditto for the chocolate shops.

Take an evening cruise down the Seine with Vedettes de Paris or one of the other operators. Seeing the historic buildings along the river illuminated is a great experience. You might also like to take one of the tour buses that go around major sights away from the river, either day or evening.

Check the brochures at news kiosks for listings of church and other concerts.

gracejoan3 Sep 16th, 2007 04:09 AM

I have been in Paris from mid December til 30th..home for NY.

Paris is beautiful that time of the year. Do take an evening Illuminations tour of some kind..or get your taxi diver to drive you around for some of the sights. I had one who just did it on his own!

I had Christmas dinner at Les Ambassadeurs in the Hotel Crillon. Christmas Eve at Les Violon d'Ingres.

Check restaurants for closings...hotels will be open to take care of their people.

Enjoy............

jay Sep 16th, 2007 04:51 AM

miz, will you be in Paris on NYE? It is alot of fun. If so be sure to do the Champs. Christmas markets will be gone as they shut down on Christmas eve.Everything else should be on a normal schedule.

OO Sep 16th, 2007 05:39 AM

Christmas Day is the only day you have to worry about closings and you won't be there then. Otherwise, the city is so beautiful then....the trees along Champs Elysees, yes, absolutely...there are even mini forests of white flocked trees at one of the intersections...best seen at night. It's hard to even get close to the windows at Printemps and Galleries Lafayette but fun to try. Be sure to go in the stores as well. It's a beautiful time to see the city--so beautiful we did it two years in a row at Christmas.

If you've never done mass at Notre Dame, give that a try. The organ is unbelievable! We are not Catholic, not even particularly religious, but one of the highlights of both trips was mass Christmas Eve at Notre Dame. Very moving experience.

The only thing you may be disappointed with is that the water has been drained from 90% of the fountains...be ready for that, but enjoy all the rest of the decorations and you'll barely notice the lack of fountains.

mizilene Sep 16th, 2007 11:13 AM

Thanks very much! Unfortunately, since I am a professional religious person, I will have to be working Christmas Eve, which is why we're not traveling till Christmas Day - Notre Dame will have to wait for retirement!

I'm thinking we might go to the ballet New Year's Eve - and make reservations for the second seating at a restaurant after. Any suggestions about NYE late night dining? Will we find it impossible to get a taxi after? We have to be on our way to the airport by 7am the next day - bummer!

Thanks -

mizilene Sep 16th, 2007 11:16 AM

oh - forgot to mention that we'll be going to the ballet at Bastille, and we're staying in the Marais, so we'd want to eat in that area - since we're heading out so early the next morning.

Thanks
mizilene

cherrybomb Sep 16th, 2007 11:16 AM

bkmkg