Shopping in Germany

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Jackie

Shopping in Germany

I will be visiting Germany in October. I would like to do some shopping while I am there. Can anyone tell me what items are real 'deals' in Germany and approximately what there prices are.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:33 PM
ingrid

This is the stuff I usually buy: <BR>CHOCOLATE --- for around DM 1.00 a bar (or less) and other candies/truffles; also try Mon Cherie: cherries in Cognac, covered with chocolate. <BR>Wine --- around half price compared to US (???) <BR>duvet covers (if you use them; about DM 20.00 - 30.00 for a twin set --- but the pillow cases are huge, think European sham) <BR>local crafts are nice, e.g. Christmas ornaments, handmade wooden toys. LEGO's can be cheaper. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 01:07 PM
TBH

Jackie, <BR> <BR>If you spend any time in Munich, you may want to purchase a beer stein. Best place I saw was a shop on the the Karlsplatz or Karlssrasse which runs from just past the Haupt Bahnhoff to the Marianplatz. <BR> <BR>TBH

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Dave

I agree with the beer stein comment. You can get some very unique steins in Germany. <BR> <BR>My wife likes to shop for Christmas ornaments when we go. I don't know if they are cheaper, but they are a lot different than what we get her in the US. <BR> <BR>As for wine, this will take research. Much of the cheaper wine in germany is Table Wine. You can get it in the US, but it's not a big export because of the general 'jug' quality. However, they also sell the really good stuff that they don't export in quantity, but it tends to be expensive. Cheaper than it would be in the US, but we are talking $80 for example. <BR> <BR>Chocolate is a good bet. Always. <BR>

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Philip

If you are into figurines you should buy a Hummel. They are priced from about US$50 to US$150.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 04:36 PM
Dick

BEER STEINS: As a collector, you really bave to watch what you are going to buy in Germany. <BR> <BR>If you want the regular "souvenier" type steins, go ahead. If you look on ebay, they are for sale by the tons. Just do a search on "Lidded beer steins". You will get some Budwieser too. <BR> <BR>Just remember, the "souvenier" type steins sell all day in the $10.00-$20.00 range. Most of the people who have them for sale bought them in Germany thinking <BR>"What a treasure". <BR> <BR>Just be fore-warned. Remember those lovely pillows that said "San Diego" or ______!!! <BR> <BR>Dick <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Dave

Hey!!! I like my "Pride of the catskills" cedar toothpick holder. It's a treasure!! ;-) <BR> <BR>The stein I like best is pewter with a very cool relief on the sign. Have only ever seen them in one store in Munich. Cost me $35.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:41 PM
Andy

Jackie-one of the best deals in Germany is their gorgeous crystal==If you go to the outlets, the German "seconds" (ie.have a slight bubble in the crystal somewhere) are what is shipped to the US as first quality--You can find gorgeous vases,pitchers,stemware -- and also Rosenthal Crystal and China is also sold at the outlets at a considerable savings off US prices.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 10:33 PM
BTilke

WMF brand cookware and kitchenware is very high quality, stylish and reasonably priced.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 12:05 AM
Paige

In Germany, European wines cost about half what they do in the US and there's a much bigger selection. German knives made in Sollingen are also a good deal. They're very high quality and much cheaper than buying in the US. Mont Blanc ink pens cost about half here what they cost in the US. I know that for a fact as I bought one in TX for my husband (silly me) and it costs half in Munich. People who visit us have also bought cukoo clocks, beer steins, beer, pewter mugs, Christmas ornaments and chocolates.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 07:25 PM
Kay

Also, wooden nutcrackers.

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 03:55 AM
Maira

If you are going to the Bavaria Region, stop at the small town of Ettal (on the way to Oberammergau). Many of the craftsmen that worked on the castles nearby established in Ettal and the town offers the most beautiful pewter jewerly (beautiful pins for $6) and crafts and amazing wood crafts. Obviously the Christmas ornaments are outstanding, but some are not cheap (anywhere from $3 up). <BR> <BR>I also remember buying shoes at a shoe store off Marienplatz, even left the shoes I brought with me behind to open space for the ones I bought. They were that good with even better prices. Also off Marienplatz, there was a candy/chocolate store that was just fantastic. We typically buy off city centre, but we were surprised the amount of good shopping you can do very close to Marienplatz.