Day trip to Dijon or Beaune from Paris

Old Sep 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip to Dijon or Beaune from Paris

My husband and I are traveling to Paris from Oct 30 to Nov 11. This is later in the fall than we prefer but hopefully we won't run into too much rain- we don' t mind the cold. I'd like to do a day trip to Dijon or Beaune from Paris- most people say how you should really spend the night etc etc but we're really not interested. The trains run at great times and we could spend 10 to 12 hours in either city. My question is- our main motivation for traveling to the area is to visit some vineyards and enjoy some wine tastings. I'm reluctant to book a tour as all of them seem to only visit 1 or 2 vineyards plus, we really prefer to do things on our own if at all possible. The week before we will be going on a day trip to Reims and I know its doable to see a few champagne houses on foot- this is what we are planning on doing. Would either Dijon or Beaune lend itself to us winging it? Could we show up and hire a guide for the day on our own? Or can we walk to a few winderies? Is their public transit that might take you to several wineries? I know with places like Napa and the Niagara region there are often little trollies--- this is a little tacky but I just have no clue- perhaps there is something like this in either Beaune or Dijon. What should I do!? Thanks in advance for advice.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 11:14 AM
RJD

if you wish to visit vineyards from either place, Dijon or Beaune, you will need to take a tour or rent a car. That is easier from Dijon which has a several car rental firms right at the train station. Driving south from Dijon you're in the heart of Burgundy and you can research vineyards that accept visitors on the web. Note: They will expect you to buy something.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

RJD thank you for your response. I had never considered renting a car upon arriving in Dijon. I know people like to drive down the Cote d'Or stopping at vineyards along the way. I will research this option. Thanks for noting the expectation of a purchase on the part of vineyards. Trust me- I don't think this will be a problem! : )
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Try this www.burgundyeye.com or www.burgundy-tourism.com Richard
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think you will be traveling quite a bit visiting one of those lovely places. You could consider Auxerre, much closer and you should be able to find a wine tour. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxerre
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you iris1745! Auxerre is an interesting option- I'll check out tours that leave from this location. I looked quickly at the websites you provided. I like the Burgandy Tourism site with the 'gourmet tourist trail'. I need to look into how long it would take to drive from the train station in Dijon to Beaune and back if we were stopping along the way.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 12:54 PM

www.beaune.com lends itself better to daytipping in my experience totally walkable from TGV station great food
museum wine caves capital of ancient Burgundy.

Dijon your standard big city metro vibe not as pretty.

Would not rent a car in such a short time

Overnite in Beaune would be lots better...

couple of hours train each way

from Paris day trips eurocheapo.com/paris other good tips

Have fun,
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 12:55 PM

www.chartres-tourisme.com

or a Loire Valley Chateau tour my fav

viator.com many others...