Christmas Trip to Southern Spain

Aug 18th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Christmas Trip to Southern Spain

Hello Fellow Travelers,
My significant other and I plan to travel from Boston to Southern Spain for the Christmas/New Years holiday (our first time there). Most likely, we'll begin in Seville. Any advice about the easiest/least expensive route? I imagine we could fly from Boston to Madrid with a connection to Seville. Or would it be better to fly into London and then fly onto Seville? (The train from Madrid-Seville is also an option.) We're a bit worried about just how we will plan Christmas Day, since I'm sure most people will be involved in family activities. Also, in an eight day trip, we're planning 2-3 days in Seville, then to take the train to Granada for 2 days, then onto Arcos for 2-3 days where we'll rent a car and explore the White Towns. Finally, back to Seville to make our way home. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? We'll really appreciate any advice!
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:14 PM

Hello fellow Bostonian...

I did a similar trip last January to escape our lovely frigid temperatures. Your itinerary sounds great! I however flew directly into Granada, took a train to Sevilla, Cordoba and then to Madrid and flew home from there. It was actually cheaper than flying into Madrid and going the other way.

The day splits sound good. Go for 3 days in Sevilla if you have to choose. It is the loveliest city I've been to. Just bumped Florence to #2.
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:47 PM

Hello,

Did a similar trip 3 years ago. Seems totally feasible.

We found the "white villages" somewhat disappointing. I mean it is cute and all but I did not find the white villages as pretty as villages in Provence or Tuscany.

Also, villages do not have that many shops and restaurants and it can be a little bit sleepy during siesta hours (which means two third of the afternoon). Don't get me wrong, you will still have a lovely time.
Aug 19th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Doke2:
Please tell me how you flew directly into Granada from Boston! I have searched and searched for that connection, to no avail.
Thanks,
gail
Aug 19th, 2005, 05:40 PM

I'm sorry, my mistake. I did connect in Madrid.
Aug 20th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Fellow Bostonian-- and Radial -- for the encouraging notes. We've decided to fly from Boston to Madrid direct, then take the fast train to Seville. I'm reconsidering even visiting the white towns, since my boyfriend would be happier with some activities and a sense of life in addition to the gorgeous scenery. So maybe we'll do overnight in Madrid, three days in Seville, two in Granada and one in Cordoba and back to Madrid overnight. If anyone has any suggestions about how to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in Seville, we'd love to hear them.
Aug 20th, 2005, 03:53 PM

In Spain, families celebrate Christmas Eve together at home, so most bars and restaurants are closed then. Some should still be open in a big city like Sevilla, but it may be better to have lunch in a restaurant then a snack in the evening. On Christmas Day, people go out so many more bars and restaurants are open. Public transport also operates as on a Sunday. I was there at Christmas 2002: we spent the morning in Cordoba, had lunch, took a train to Sevilla for the afternoon then a bus to Ayamonte and taxi to Vila Real de Santo Antonio in the evening.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:10 PM

We will be on Seville on Chrstmas Eve and Christmas Day, too, so I'm curious to hear any suggestions!
Aug 25th, 2005, 06:17 AM

Careful; I'll say everything will be closed in Spain on Christmas Day and Eve.
Aug 25th, 2005, 07:27 AM

On Christmas Eve even the big supermarkets close at 7 or 8 PM (they usually are opened till 10 PM). But bars, discos..open again after 12 in the night That leaves time to have dinner with the family which is the tradition here.
If you are in Seville, maybe you like to see Misa del Gallo. It's the Catholic celebration of Christmas which is held at 12 in the night.
On Christmas Day most everything is closed at lunch time but I don't think you will have any problem the rest of the day. Probably there will be a special lunch in your hotel
I would skip the White Towns in winter. The roads are not in their best moment Sure Andalucia it's not as cold as Boston but still it is winter time.
Sierra Nevada ski resort is only a 25 minutes drive from Granada so you can imagine
By the way, no siesta in winter !! Little shops close to have lunch for a couple of hours, that's all.
Hope you have a nice Christmas !

Search this Thread