Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Christmas trinkets in Austria and Germany

Apr 4th, 2000, 01:58 PM
Robin

My husband and I will be traveling to Munich and Salzburg over Easter weekend. I know this is going to sound strange in April but I'm going to ask it anyway. I know a lot of people who travel seem to collect things from where they've been such as magnets, dolls, etc. Well we collect Christmas ornaments. I was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion on where I might find a store that sells Christmas ornaments in April in places such as Munich, Salzburg, or somewhere in Bavaria? Last year we went to Germany for a few days before heading to France and we came upon Rothenburg and a store called Katie Wolfhardt (sp?). I found some gorgeous ones there which I'm sure will be hard to beat. Only wish I were going to Germany during the Christmas markets! If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks much

Robin

Apr 4th, 2000, 02:25 PM
geri

Just back from Bavaria and I'm sure I saw a Katie Wolfhaardt store in Reutte, Austria.

Apr 5th, 2000, 01:19 AM
harzer

There is also a big store of hers in Nuremberg, but Xmas trinkets in April might be asking a bit much.

Apr 5th, 2000, 06:52 AM
Debi

I collect the same thing from wherever I go. I found small carved "nutcracker" ornaments in many of the tourist shops in Munich and Salzburg. These days, everyone seems to have Christmas type ornaments all year long. I really hit the jackpot in Switzerland - I got small cuckoo clock ornaments! Enjoy your trip - it's so beautiful there!

Apr 5th, 2000, 03:41 PM
Mary

When we were in Stuttgart a few years ago near Eastertime, I did find decoupaged papier mache Easter Egg ornaments, which are hung on my Christmas tree each year.

Apr 5th, 2000, 03:54 PM
Doug

For info about Kathe Wohlfahrt and her many locations see:
http://www.weihnachtsdorf.de/onceupon.html

As far as getting Christmas decorations at Easter, every gift shop and tourist spot I've been to sells Christmas stuff year round.

When visiting Salzburg, please have a Bosna sandwich for me. I could eat them everyday for the rest of my life!!

Apr 5th, 2000, 06:23 PM
Robin

Thanks everyone so much for the responses. Unfortunatley I'll have to put them in my Germany/Austria folder for future use because my trip to Munich/Salzburg has to be cancelled for now. My husband was just handed a big project due during that time so we had to change the dates. I couldn't get the airfare that I had before so instead over the weekend of May 10-15, we'll be going to Venice Italy for the weekend. (I know, rough life)

I don't suppose there's a Katie Wolfhaardt there??

Robin

Nov 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM

bkm
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:34 PM

Doug,

What is a Bosna sandwich? We'll be in Salzburg for Christmas!
Nov 4th, 2007, 05:35 PM

Keep an eye out for clear glass balls that have been hand painted with Alpine flowers ... look in "high end" decor stores.

Also, your timing will allow you to break from tradition a llittle bit. Look for all sorts ov varieties of eggs that can hang on what will now be your Easter tree. In my family we have always had one. A combination of pussy willows and forsythia in a large weighted vase. We hang the ornaments collected over the dacdes and inherited from family. It's a great way to usher in spring. I usualy grow a tray of grass as well.... we have eggs, chikens, roosters, lots of bunnies and lady bugs for luck.
Nov 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM

I agree with Doug on the Bosna, I can not eat enough! It was the main concern when arriving in Salzburg this summer !

It is a local speciality, it is a sandwich of two long thin sausages with onions, mustard, and spices wraped in a thin bread. I like the little stand in the passageway run by the elderly lady!!
Jan 29th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Bosna update - The Bosna stand that was once on the Getreidegasse is gone!!! Replaced by a pizza shop (So is the McDonald's.) But Bosna is still available in one of the side alleys. Same side as Mozart's House but closer to Blaue Gans. Just follow the locals because they all seem to be going there. Still cheap, still very busy and still delicious.

We also noticed quite a few street vendors with carts purporting to sell Bosna, but it wasn't the same.