Christmas Ornaments in Europe

Sep 7th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Christmas Ornaments in Europe

We are going to London, Paris, Rome, Venice and Florence in mid-late October and have a tradition of buying a Christmas ornament at each location we visit around the world...any tips on good places to shop in any of these cities for christmas ornaments in October?
Thanks!
Sep 7th, 2007, 09:55 AM

You can get wonderful glass ornaments in Venice -- Domaghi (glass shop) has several branches with lovely ornaments. I'd cruise Rialto stands for them as well. Lots of places have them. I get one every time I'm there (get lots of bubble wrap).
Sep 7th, 2007, 10:03 AM

October is somewhat early for finding Christmas ornaments in France, but some of the knicknack shops should have something suitable, even if they are not marked as Christmas items.
Sep 7th, 2007, 10:08 AM

By mid October in London, you should find Christmas stuff in the museum shops. The V+A usually has the most interesting tree decorations, though the National Gallery is developing similar ranges.
Sep 7th, 2007, 10:21 AM

We also buy ornaments from the places we visit - often not an actual ornament. From Paris, we use one of the mini Eiffel towers they sell at the stands. We were surprised not to find an ornament shop in October (years ago) in Rome so we bought a knick knack or keychain or something I can't remember.

London has FABULOUS ornaments at the shops at the historical sites - specifically the gift shops at Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, Windsor Castle, Kew Gardens, probably other places. These are official royal ornaments and are not sold in the junk stores around town. They are ornate cloth stuffed ornaments. I have attached a link below for an example (all I could find was Henry VIII) but they have ornaments in the shape of Big Ben, London taxi, phone booth, soldier, Westminster, Tower bridge, you name it.

http://www.historicroyalpalaces.com/...r-him-her.html
Sep 7th, 2007, 11:06 AM

I do the same thing, and you should have no problems finding something good that will look fabulous on a tree. I have ornaments from all over the world, and it is so neat to remember the countries as you hang them up.... Ditto on Venice - you are going to find gorgeous glass ornaments (make sure you have space to carry them in your carry on....).
Sep 7th, 2007, 11:18 AM

In Rome, Vertecchi, the paper and design people, have two stores with Christmas shops open from September to January at Via Pietro da Cortona 18 and Vicolo del Lupo 10.
Oct 4th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good options- any ideas for Florence?
Oct 4th, 2007, 09:12 PM

This may not suit your desire, but for the past couple of years I've been buying travel-related, glass ornaments on ebay (under collectibles). I now have the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, the Colosseum(sp?), a gondola, the Trevi Fountain, Big Ben, a British telephone booth, an English double-decker bus, a flamenco dancer...well, I think you get the idea. Buying and bidding gets fierce after Thanksgiving.
Oct 4th, 2007, 10:21 PM

Harrods Christmas shop should be open in October--it's huge. I just returned from Paris last week and several souvenir shops had Christmas ornaments. The prettiest one I found happened to be in the duty free shop at CDG airport.