Christmas Markets outside Nurnberg?

Old Sep 26th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Christmas Markets outside Nurnberg?

Can anyone suggest some small charming small town Christmas markets outside of Nurnberg?

Thank you and ho, ho, ho!
Nancy
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While Stuttgart is not a small toiwn, it's market is lovely and without the crowds of Nurenberg
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 09:08 AM
tmh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure how far outside Nuremberg you want to go. I've been to the one in Bamberg - very nice and they have a Crippen (nativity) walk on select days or weekends; Annaberg-Bucholz (sp) in the eastern part of the country was charming; Naumberg in eastern Germany was also special.

Many small towns have them on a weekend or two - unlike the masters such as Nuremberg, Munich etc. I have relatives in Sailauf near Ascheffenburg and theirs is one Saturday in early December.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't want to drive more than 1 and half hours so it limits our options.

I also have relatives (first time we all will meet) living about 30 60 minutes east of Nurnberg in Stockelsberg and Nemarket and hope these towns have a Christmas market and festivites.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 05:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not sure aI can help directly, but I'll give youmy thoughts: I think much of what we consider "success" on a trip depends on our objectives and our expectations. If you ae a "shopper", the markets int he larger cities are your cup of tea. If you are a "cultural hanger-on" [as I am, then the smaller mardets are probably better. Haven't spent a great deal of time in smaller towns outside of N'burg. However, did enjoy Bamberg - the market is surely nice, but the town itself simply seemed to be so civilized! Throw me in that briar patch. Rothenberg ODT is an amazing place but so filled with people like me [tourists] that it is not high on my list. Of the places I have been, Michelstadt is an winner - a market that reflects the ocals and not bait for the tourist. Another is Bad Wimpfen: only on the weekends but again, few tourists and a beautiful town. I had a great Saturday nite in little Eichenbuhl [a hamlet] but it seems I was adoped as the only non-Eichenbuhler [?] there. Are you there to shop or better understand the culture? Both are noble, but the anser may affect your choices.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 05:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not sure aI can help directly, but I'll give youmy thoughts: I think much of what we consider "success" on a trip depends on our objectives and our expectations. If you ae a "shopper", the markets int he larger cities are your cup of tea. If you are a "cultural hanger-on" [as I am, then the smaller mardets are probably better. Haven't spent a great deal of time in smaller towns outside of N'burg. However, did enjoy Bamberg - the market is surely nice, but the town itself simply seemed to be so civilized! Throw me in that briar patch. Rothenberg ODT is an amazing place but so filled with people like me [tourists] that it is not high on my list. Of the places I have been, Michelstadt is an winner - a market that reflects the ocals and not bait for the tourist. Another is Bad Wimpfen: only on the weekends but again, few tourists and a beautiful town. I had a great Saturday nite in little Eichenbuhl [a hamlet] but it seems I was adopted as the only non-Eichenbuhler [?] there. Are you there to shop or better understand the culture? Both are noble, but the anser may affect your choices.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 06:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ROTHENBURG: We have done the opening at Nuremburg and Rothenburg. Both are fun. Rothenburg will open on a Friday evening with a small ceremony around the Christmas tree in the main square. There are not that many "tourists" there at that time. The town is decked out and fun to enjoy. The drive from Nuremburg to Rothenburg is within what you want to do.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Message: we also spent 2003 going to Christmas markets and for atmosphere not shopping. Went to Nürnberg but stayed in Fürth and took subway into Nürnberg because I prefer smaller towns. Also went to Bamberg Christmas market. Loved Bamberg. We arranged with schloesser bayern to have a guided tour of Cathedral, Alte Hofhaltung, New Residence, Imperial Hall in Bamberg for a tour in English for 7 euro last year. We were the only 2 people so we had our own private guide for 1.5 hrs for 7 euro. What a bargain.
http://www.schloesser.bayern.de/engl...te/bam_res.htm
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions!
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 08:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regensburg is a straight shot on the autobahn "east" of Nuremberg! Very pretty town as well, and will also have a Christmas market. In addition, it's not very touristy.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 12:29 PM
tmt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lausha should be about no more than 1 and 1/2 hours north/north east of Nurnberg. It is the place where the first US christmas ornaments were made...brought back to the US by Woolworth. There should be some info if you do an internet search. Very Few folks speak English, (except for the hotels) but are very accomodating. One of the school teachers there loved to practice his english with us. Its a small rural type of market, with russian type food being served and really nice folks. Quite a different experience than the hyped up Nurnberg and Frankfurt type markets...oh, but I loved them too. Bring an extra suitcase for all the "stuff" you will be buying...and make sure its a hand carry size! Hoping to get back for a 3rd Christmas Market visit in a year or so.