Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Christmas Markets in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/christmas-markets-in-paris-267315/)

claire Oct 20th, 2002 04:54 PM

Christmas Markets in Paris

I arrive in Paris on Nov. 30th and depart on December 8th. I'd very much like to visit the Christmas markets and find some unique gifts to bring back home. Where are the best markets and what can I expect to find in them? Also, what kind of prices are we talking about here? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Ruth Oct 20th, 2002 04:58 PM

I also have a question. I'll be arriving in Paris on Dec 27th. Can anyone tell me if Paris has a Christmas Markets the weekend in between Christmas & New Years? I know it's after Christmas but it's still the holiday season.

Cindy Oct 20th, 2002 05:34 PM

We have been to Paris 2 years in a row right after Christmas. There was a Christmas market in the Les Halles area near the church St. Eustache and there was one near the Bastille, along the Canal. I am sure there were others, but we were staying in the Marais and those were the ones that we walked by.

kathy Oct 20th, 2002 06:02 PM

I didn't even know Paris had Christmas markets. When do they begin. Is there a website?? Thanks.

lsdjf Oct 21st, 2002 06:22 AM

marianne Oct 21st, 2002 11:11 AM

to the top

Mora Nov 21st, 2002 05:56 AM

Any help with this????

xxx Nov 21st, 2002 06:03 AM

There will be one next to the Pompidou Center at Place Stravinsky (where the Tinguely fountain is located).<BR>It's too early now, but the Paris weekly what's on 'Pariscope' will most probably list it, as soon as it's on - which might be on November 29. <BR>From last year, I know it's running the week between Christmas and New Years.<BR>www.pariscope.fr

Christina Nov 21st, 2002 09:55 AM

The main Christmas markets in Paris are:<BR><BR>place Nation 12/5-12/24<BR>Les Halles 12/6-12/29<BR>Maison de l'Alsace (Alsace tourism office), 39 av des Champs-Elysees 11/25-12/20<BR>Most are open from about 11 am to 7-8 pm.<BR><BR>I also saw one listed at Palais Royal but I don't know those dates. There is a special one on 12/12-12/15 at place St-Sulpice by an organization for the mentally handicapped, also (UNAPEI)

Peg Nov 21st, 2002 11:12 AM

Go to www.paris-touristoffice.com and click on the British flag for English language. Then go to events and under &quot;catagory&quot; you will see listings of special Christmas events. Enter the Salons/faires/markets and the dates that you will be in Paris and voila! This was very helpful to me when I went to Paris last December. You will also be able to check out concerts, exhibitions and other special events. Have a great trip!

Patrick1 Nov 24th, 2002 08:53 AM

Excuse my cynism, but what do you expect to find so &quot;unique&quot; in a Christmas market? You'll find very tasteful Christmas gifts at Le Bon Marche department store (and at their &quot;La Grande Epicerie&quot; food store nearby), and it will probably be less expensive than dubious market finds. What kind of gifts did you have in mind?

parislover Dec 4th, 2002 12:36 AM

Just read this in this week's Pariscope:<BR><BR>Christmas Market Les Halles&nbsp;:&nbsp;<BR>3 villages with chalets with lots of handycraft, food stands, etc. Different animations.<BR>Roller skating and skating tracks.<BR><BR>Running from December 6-29. <BR>Daily from 11 am to 8 pm, Friday and Sat till 10 pm.<BR><BR>Place Fontaine des Innocents/Eglise St Eustache<BR>Rues Lescot et Berger <BR>Metro: Ch&acirc;telet-Les Halles. <BR>Free entrance.