Christmas Markets in Alsace

Sep 7th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Christmas Markets in Alsace

We plan to stay in Freiburg for 4 days at the end of November, beginning of December. Our main reason for going to Germany/France at this time is to visit the various Christmas markets.

We will obviously visit Freiburg's Christmas market. We also plan on visiting Strasbourg's market. Can anyone recommend some other great Christmas markets in the Alsace region .. maybe Colmar. Each of these towns is close to Freiburg and we will have a car so whichever the good ones are, we'd like to hit.

Also, any great ones (local craftsmen) in the black forest or within driving distance from Freiburg?

Our other half of the trip we plan on staying in Nuremberg ... and will do the same .. make driving day trips to the surrounding markets.
Sep 7th, 2006, 08:48 AM

We were in France and Germany at Christmastime a couple of years ago and we enjoyed the market at Riems as much as Heidelberg, Munich or Salzburg. I know Riems is not exactly in the Alsace but as close as we came.
Sep 7th, 2006, 08:59 AM

Unfortunately, most of the Christmas markets have become as sincere as a Hallmark greeting card.
Sep 9th, 2006, 02:05 PM

I really enjoy the market in Colmar, have been twice and was a pleasure both times. Some of the smaller villlages on the wine road have markets on the weekends as well.
Sep 11th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank for all for the replies. I think we will definitely try to hit Colmar and Strasbourg in France along with Freiburg and a few others in the Black Forest surrounding area.

Our other part of the trip will be in Nuremberg. Looking for recommendations around Nuremberg other than Rothenburg and Babmberg (on the list already).

Thanks!
Sep 11th, 2006, 08:15 AM
jay

As others have said, the Colmar and Strasbourg markets are both really nice and have alot of varietal foods and crafts for sale. Yes the Black Forest is close by and I would recommend a quick trip to Baden-Baden. A day at the spa and maybe some shopping. Have fun.
Sep 14th, 2006, 06:51 AM

I have been to the markets in Germany, but not the ones in France. Here is a small article about the markets in the Alsace area, enjoy ! http://www.intltravelnews.com/Alsace_xmas.htm
Sep 15th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Jay and mr_compass!! mr_compass, what a great article!!
Sep 15th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Colmar has a great christmas market, don't miss it. In my opinion, Strasbourg's is overrated. If you're willing to travel a bit further north in Baden-Wurtemburg, the market in the tiny village of Bad Wimpfen is absolutely beautiful. The town is up on a hill overlooking the Neckar; market only held on weekend I believe.
Sep 15th, 2006, 06:25 AM

We were in Strasbourg for their market on a Saturday a few years ago and it was shoulder-to-shoulder. The crowding made it so unpleasant we were sadly underwhelmed. Any of the big markets will be particularly bad on a weekend, so go during the week or in the evening if you can. That said, if you go to some of the smaller ones, they're not usually as crowded, even on weekends.

We once went to the Michelstadt market (in the Odenwald and very popular) on the Friday evening it opened and it was lovely. We returned the next year with visitors on a Sunday afternoon and swore we'd never do it again. Now I know how a salmon feels when it's swimming upstream!