Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Christmas Markets - Frankfurt or Copenhagen
Notices

Christmas Markets - Frankfurt or Copenhagen

Jun 18th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Christmas Markets - Frankfurt or Copenhagen

Hi, trying to decide between christmas markets in Copenhagen and Frankfurt. I have never been to either city and would like to go to a nice city with nice markets. I have been to christmas markets in a number of cities and particularly enjoyed the markets where the city was a nice city to spend a weekend and the markets had a nice atmosphere. I realise that it is very subjective but would appreciate any views.

Thanks in advance!
Jun 18th, 2013, 03:38 PM

I have never been to the markets in Copenhagen and I confess my last visit there was 1985, as a teenager, so I can't really comment on that city. But I can comment on Frankfurt, and that is to say that not just Frankfurt has Christmas markets - everywhere in Germany does. So if you got to the markets in Frankfurt you could also visit Mainz and Wiesbaden in the same weekend - more bang for your buck. There are actually a couple of markets in each city, if the city is big enough; in Frankfurt this year they are at the Römerberg (the old part of the city), Paulsplatz and the banks of the Main. Look out for delights such as warm sugared almonds, Glühwein, Dampfnudeln (steamed doughy dumplings with warm custard and a mix of sugar and ground poppy seeds), and others!

Lavandula
Jun 19th, 2013, 09:22 AM

Thank you Lavandula - that sounds good. The only German markets that I have been to is the Munich markets and I really enjoyed them. I appreciate that most markets probably won't be that size but they did have a lovely feel to them.
Jun 22nd, 2013, 06:29 PM

I have been to the Tivoli Gardens Christmas Market and it was fun but it was a way different experience than the ones in Munich, Vienna, Nuremberg and the little ones in Rotenburg and Salzburg. I have not been to the market in Frankfurt. We always thought the Munich Markets were the best until we went to Vienna at Christmas last year. They have several big and charming markets including the Rathaus and the Schoenbrun Palace.

Search this Thread