Christmas Markets 2021 ????

Old Jul 21st, 2021, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas Markets 2021 ????

Does anyone have any information on if Christmas Markets in Europe will be open this year? If so will there be restrictions?
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 03:19 PM

No-one knows yet - Oktoberfest has been cancelled in Munich for 2021 already so I think it is possible that the Christmas markets may also be cancelled, but they may not say so until the last minute. You might still find that cities put up decorations and Christmas lights though so perhaps not a complete wash-out.

This person's unofficial list records one cancellation for 2021 but this is hardly indicative:

https://happytowander.com/german-chr...cancellations/

I would imagine that there would be restrictions around food but distancing restrictions would be nigh impossible, because part of the charm of the markets is the crowds. Also many people would remove masks to eat and drink so it would be very unsafe for unvaccinated people. I would not like to be the official who had to decide if their city's market were to go on. If you are planning a trip to Germany I would certainly take into account whether it is as attractive a holiday destination this year without the markets (cold, overcast, etc).

Lavandula

Old Jul 21st, 2021, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the list, Lavandula.

There is a big medical congress still aiming to take place in late November in Munich. We are crossing fingers it does not go virtual. Several of us are hoping/planning to go. We would take a little personal time off afterwards, visit the Munich markets, then train down to Salzburg for a few days.
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 12:27 AM

Sounds nice Weisser Tee, hope you get your mini-vacation (maybe even if the conference is virtual). We are in lockdown here in Sydney and the first 4 weeks of the university semester are going to be online, maybe even longer if the Delta variant escapes the contact-tracers. No-one is that fazed by lockdown this time, but gee that Delta is a bad one!

Lavandula
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 02:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well the Manchester one went ahead in 2020 so 2021 should be fine.
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 06:58 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We've booked our annual Christmas trip, flying into Munich then heading to Austria and Italy. Missed last year of course. Only time will tell if we can actually go, but if we do, and there are no markets, it will feel very odd indeed.
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 07:12 AM

Hi goingthere2,

I live south of Munich, and unfortunately lavandula has presented the picture very accurately. There is as yet no decision on the markets, and it will depend upon the rate of vaccinations. Right now in my town, we've been pretty well stuck at around 57% half vaccinated and 46% fully vaccinated for a few weeks.

The incidence of new infections is low, and that's encouraging. However, the rate of infections is slowly, slowly starting to rise again. If vaccinations remain low.... the virus will take off again in the Fall.

My own nephew had planned to see the markets in 2020 and then again in 2021. When I explained the current state to him, and reminded him what Germany is like in December without the markets (no flowers, no snow, likely no sun), he moved his trip to Feb 2022 in the hope of a snowy landscape.

Best of luck, and I hope we all see the markets this year!

s
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

For those planning to travel, I hope the markets are open.

Based on this, my travel will likely be a last minute decision. I donít think I would know what do in Europe in December without the Christmas markets.
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 04:10 PM

Winter hiking? Skiing? Sledding? Advent concerts? Seeing the sights? Eating and drinking?
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 04:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"I don’t think I would know what do in Europe in December without the Christmas markets."

Over the last 2 decades I've been to Europe in Nov/Dec/Jan (mostly Dec) more years than not. I tend to travel there either over Thanksgiving, my birthday (early Dec) or Christmas/New Years . . . and I've only ever been to the Continental Christmas Markets twice -- once on a trip to Paris & Strasbourg and one on a Christmas river cruise through Germany. I don't do skiing/skating nor much in the way of strenuous winter 'hiking'.

Concerts, Museums, Christmas decorations, theater, food stalls/markets, special restaurants, galleries, winter walks, brewery/distillery tours/tastings, etc. -- I always run out of time before I run out of things to do.
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Melnq8 View Post
Winter hiking? Skiing? Sledding? Advent concerts? Seeing the sights? Eating and drinking?
I doubt the OP literally meant she/he would have no idea what to do without the markets. But they are a special part of the festive atmosphere even if you have been to them many times. We really missed the presence of the markets in Europe last winter...our first season in 22 years without them.
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 05:36 AM

I'm sure a market free Christmas felt odd, WeisserTee. Wholeheartedly agree that they're a staple of the festive season. I'd miss them too, in fact I may well be missing them again this year.
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Melnq8 View Post
I'm sure a market free Christmas felt odd, WeisserTee. Wholeheartedly agree that they're a staple of the festive season. I'd miss them too, in fact I may well be missing them again this year.
As long as we get one of your trip reports, I, for one, will be happy.
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 10:06 AM

You're very kind Trophywife!