Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Christmas Market Amsterdam (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/christmas-market-amsterdam-650410/)

wilees Oct 2nd, 2006 09:16 AM

Christmas Market Amsterdam

Is there a Christmas Market in Amsterdam??

I went to Bruges last year and it was great. And I haven't been to the Netherlands yet so I was wondering if there is a christmas market?

And if so, has anybody been??

ms_go Oct 2nd, 2006 09:41 AM

I'm interested to know, as well. From my searching, it looks like there may be a market in Dam Square, but I'm curious when it begins. We'll be there Nov 23-26 and it looks like that might be a bit early?? Thanks.

Tulips Oct 2nd, 2006 09:47 AM

ms_go; December 5 is Sinterklaas (St Nicholas) and you do not see Christmas decorations, nor Christmas markets, in November.

Tulips Oct 2nd, 2006 09:52 AM

There seems to be a Christmas market on Leidseplein from Dec. 15 (www.amsterdamtourist.nl)

PalenqueBob Oct 2nd, 2006 10:02 AM

I was in Amsterdam last December and there was an ice skating rink on Dam Square and some kind of Christmas stuff, but paltry compared to the markets i later visited in Germany. Mainly it seemed like a two-story beer hall in front of the Royal Palace was the focal point for most. I don't think this type of market will be found in Amsterdam.

Lostmymind Oct 2nd, 2006 10:09 AM

There is a market in the center of the city, its not a big as the ones in Germany, maybe 20 stalls and a ice skating rink.

Lostmymind Oct 2nd, 2006 10:11 AM

Palenque Bob, you beat me to the punch!

PalenqueBob Oct 2nd, 2006 10:13 AM

The one difference in Amsterdam market is that they have a lot of vowels for sale!

ms_go Oct 2nd, 2006 10:36 AM

Thanks. That's what I gathered from searching on the Internet. I was just curious--we already have more than enough to fill our time there.

wilees Oct 2nd, 2006 11:53 AM

OK then - will the city (Amsterdam) be festive enough to warrent a December visit?? Or should I delay until spring.

I don't care about shopping I just like Christmas Lights and festive food!! (Cold christmases are still a novelty!!!)

Is there anywhere else that I could train to from London that would be recommended?

Lostmymind Oct 2nd, 2006 11:58 AM

I started and ended my race across Europe last december from Amsterdam.

I really enjoyed the city. So much that i am going to end this years trip there as well. It was very beautiful with snow coming down on the canals. There was so much to do.

I will be there for New Years eve this year.

PalenqueBob Oct 2nd, 2006 11:59 AM

If you go to Amsterdam the week after Christmas it's probably the biggest party of the year - people flock from all over Europe to the week before Christams and New Years here - so it's a citywide revelry - hotel rooms are impossible to get unless you book weeks in advance. I found all this out when trying to book any kind of dumpy hotel for my son once - everything was booked except for the odd flea bag hostel.

I've been in Paris and London at Christmas and they've both underwhelmed me from a Christmas light angle - nearly nothing compared to the U.S. extravaganza.

Weespxx Oct 16th, 2006 06:09 PM

The Dutch celebrate Sinter Klaas in early December, although Christmas is growing. If it's snow and quaint markets you want, Holland is the wrong country. I'd head north to Stockholm where at least you might get a bit of snow. Amsterdam is an amazing city (lived there 7 years with Dutch husband), but its not extra special on Dec 25th. Most Dutch people just celebrate by eating dinner with family / friends. Dec 25 and 26 are national holidays too, so lots will be closed.

PatrickLondon Oct 17th, 2006 05:03 AM

It might not be quite the magic the OP is hoping for, but a cheapskate like me appreciates the advantage of the Dutch celebrating Sinterklaas more than Christmas: some shops have sales of seasonal goods and toys between the two. Try the top floor at de Bijenkorf.