Reload this Page >

Jr. Loons?: Advice from Elvira wanted!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 06:20 PM
alex

A group of my friends and I are planning an all girls trip to London for early March. We don't want to spend a lot for accomodations, since we don't plan to be in there very much! We definitely want to hit Portobello (and other) Market(s) -- we are champion junkers. We are all (give or take) 30 and wouldn't even mind a "sleepover" type setup. But do the Brits allow room cramming? I am going to check into apartments after seeing some entries here. I'd appreciate any advice/recommendations you (or anyone else) could give us. Thanks

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 02:29 PM
elvira

Ugh, my computer ate my original answer, so here goes (if you want more details, you can email me directly): <BR>1) Make sure you get input from every member on what they like and don't like. No point in heading for the Millenium Ferris Wheel if half the group is acrophobic. <BR>2) Don't try to sneak extra people into your accommodations. Many hotels and B&Bs will allow you to put more people in the room if you tell them that's what you want to do (for example, a double room with double beds sleeps four, and the hotel will even put in a cot if you want). We found the Roland House apartments were inexpensive and basic, 10 minute walk from the Underground entrance with a fully stocked convenience store on the way. Not only cheaper per person than a hotel, but we saved $$ by buying breakfast food, and a couple of times we ate lunch or dinner (like, you're just too tired to eat at 8:00 after sightseeing all day, so you buy sandwiches and chips and wine and eat in the apartment). <BR>3) Decide on luggage. We take just carry-ons so we avoid the baggage carousel; this doesn't work if even one girl checks in luggage, because everyone has to wait for her. Discuss what everyone wants to do, and make a group decision. <BR>4) Carry only what you can handle. Just because I have a rolling bag doesn't mean I'll help carry your 5 suitcases. You bring it, you haul it. <BR>5) Make sure everyone understands they are not in Kansas anymore. The food is different, the beds are different, the escalators are different. The first person who says "well, that's not how WE do it in the U.S." becomes the pinata for that night's festivities. <BR>6) NO WHINING. If you don't feel good, or you're tired, SPEAK UP. We'll take care of you. If you really don't want to go to the Dill Pickle and Smurf Museum, then say so. Don't go and act like a big baby. <BR>7) Share. Each person doesn't need to bring a box of bandaids. Make a list of communal things and divvy up who brings what. <BR>8) Buy as much ahead as you can; such as National Heritage Passes, Underground Passes, etc. That way, the group is not milling about while 2 girls go stand in line for tickets. I hate that. <BR>9) Decide on how you want to pay for meals, etc. We use the kitty; one person (it can be a different person each day) holds the dough. Before we set out for the day, we determine how much we'll need, and everyone puts in the same amount (like 50 pounds, for example). Then that person pays for the meals, entry tickets, etc. Next morning, same thing. This also saves on the aggravation in the restaurant of the cheapo who throws in 10 pounds when it actually comes to 12 pounds. <BR>10) Keep your sense of humor. It is the only way you'll get through the icky times. I also avoid all sharp objects and potential weapons, you know, just in case I'm tempted to use one. <BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 06:53 AM
s.fowler

This sank too fast!

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 06:58 AM
pam

I just copied it for my in-laws for an upcoming family-togetherness trip. <BR> <BR>S Fowler--I can't get to your Fodorite page with the URL you posted recently.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 08:46 AM
s.fowler

Eeeerk- <BR>This will work hopefully <BR>http://it.uwp.edu/fowler/fodor.htm

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 12:26 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Elvira, I can read your stuff all day. <BR>Have you considered writing an " Erma <BR>Bombeck" type book. You rip me up.

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 08:42 AM
alex

Thanks Elvira!! You brought up a lot of things I hadn't even started to think about!! (Sorry it took so long to respond -- my modem phone jack went dead!) I'm sure I'll be emailing with other questions in the next few weeks! Thanks again!!

Old May 22nd, 2000, 04:34 PM
xyz

TO THE TOP

Old May 23rd, 2000, 08:15 AM
sandi

Well, Elvira answers or responds to every question or query on the board, so it is hard for me to understand when she has time to travel??

Old May 23rd, 2000, 10:06 AM
elvira

Astral projection, darling, astral projection.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 10:14 AM
Squam Lake Loon

I'm new; I've obviously missed a very funny story from Elvira about Loons; what was it? or give me the title and I'll "search." Thanks.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 10:23 AM
cheryl

Run a search for "geese" and you'll find one of Elvira's great stories about the travelling loons.

Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:02 AM
pam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topping for Shar.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:23 PM

These are great advices for group travel!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:56 PM

Pretty good for family travel also! Great list, I'm printing it off to share with my current and future travel partners. Hey another goodie but oldie FainaAgain!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:03 PM

This is just Brilliant!
I haven't seen this in such a long time..it could be required reading LOL
For example, have people not asked just recently if they can sneak someone into their hotel room?
&quot;No whining&quot; &amp; &quot;Keep your sense of humor&quot;! LOL
Elvira, wherever you are, I miss you!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
See, newbies, why the reference to, and why we miss Elvira. She's special in the good way.
To a poster on this thread.
I spent many summers on big Squam Lake and loved the sound of the loons at night as I sipped my drink.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 09:03 PM

very funny,

FaniaAgain where do you keep finding these old posts?

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 09:13 PM

&lt;The first person who says &quot;well, that's not how WE do it in the U.S.&quot; becomes the pinata for that night's festivities.&gt;

Priceless!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 03:40 AM

Elivra, Elvira, my heart is on fire for Elvira....please come back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -