Christmas in Salzburg

Nov 20th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Christmas in Salzburg

We will be in Salzburg From the 22nd to the 26th of December 2010. Are there any restaurants open on Christmas eve for dinner or Christmas day? Or any restaurant recommendations in genral?

Thanks!!
Nov 21st, 2010, 11:24 AM

We were in Salzburg just after christmas a couple of years ago so I can't say about open on Christmas eve or day but we enjoyed the following places very much:
Zur Goldenen Ente--traditional austrian with tafelspitz aspic and roast pork with sauerkraut and dumplings.
Nordsee--my vote for best fast food on the planet. There are two on Getreidegasse, the main street of Salzburg
Blau Gans--upscale dinner with modern riffs on classics
Carpe Diem--also on Getreidegasse, super modern place that serves everything in cones. a bit precious, but would be fine for a wine stop with a couple of cones for appetizers.
Herzl tavern in the Goldener Hirsch hotel--nice little lunch place with traditional Austrian/Bavarian food
K&K just off Mozart Platz--upscale, traditional dining upstairs
A bus trip to Elixhausen to the Romantik Hotel Gmachl was a real treat. Beautiful, old fashioned Bavarian hotel in a cute small town with green candles, pink roses and wood panelled walls and ceilings. Husband had trout and boiled potatoes with butter and parsley. Charming. Hotel is right on a bus line and only about 15 minutes from Salzburg. Beautiful in the snow.

Enjoy. Salzburg is magical at Christmas/New Years.
Nov 21st, 2010, 05:21 PM

The main restaurant in the Goldener Hirsch has a great Christmas dinner. We went several years ago. It was pricey but memorable.
Nov 21st, 2010, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

The closer it gets the more excited I'm getting!!

Thanks for the suggestions. They all sound yummy. I like the sound of the Zur Goldenen Ente, but what is tafelspitz?
Nov 21st, 2010, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Also. What time is dinner in Saltzburg? Our train arrives at 8:00pm (or should I say 20:00!)

Will we be too late for dinner. I'll make reservations now if I have to!
Nov 22nd, 2010, 02:43 AM

Tafelspitz is a sort of boiled dinner that was the favorite meal of Franz Josef, emporer of Austria. It has beef, carrots, potatoes, etc. all cooked in a bouillon. The soup is drained off and served first, followed by the beef and veggies. It is often served with a side of creamed spinach. You will find it on many menus. It's kind of the national dish of Austria.
Goldener Ente is a very friendly place on a street just off Getriedegasse. We stayed at the hotel above it and would often stop in for a drink on our way to bed. It was very convivial and family-friendly.
Nov 24th, 2010, 11:54 AM

You will probably want to make reservations for Christmas dinner. One Christmas our hotel (that did not have a restaurant) helped us get reservations at an Italian Restaurant that was ok but not outstanding. We once stayed at and ate meals at the Goldenen Ente (Golden Duck) and we had the duck which wasn't bad. They were also very proud that they served Budweiser beer (the Czech kind). It was good.

Even if it means you miss you Christmas dinner I highly recommend the midnight Mass at the cathedral. As I recall you have to line up about 9:30-10pm to get in. It features fabulous music with choir and orchestra (Mozart of course). At the end a quartet accompanied by guitar sings Silent Night which waw written close by. The church is lit only with candles. As the final notes fade the huge bell overhead starts to toll. As you return to your hotel in the snow and cold night air the other churches in Salzburg answer the cathedral bells with their bells. It is a magic moment not to be missed.
Nov 24th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Wow. Wish we'd gone a couple of days earlier and been there for Christmas. Sounds terrific.
Nov 24th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Goose bumps! I can't wait.
Nov 24th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

In which cathedral is the mass?I heard of one you have to take a bus to but the candlelight sounds incredible.
Nov 25th, 2010, 07:19 AM

It is the big cathedral (probably the only one) just off Mozart Square in the AltStadt.
Nov 25th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'll be sure to go.
Nov 25th, 2010, 09:30 PM

There is only one cathedral in Salzburg...
Nov 27th, 2010, 09:41 AM

I suggest Siftskeller St. Peter's for Christmas dinner. It's a short walk from the cathedral, loaded with history (dates back to 800) and lavishly decorated for the holidays. Some think it's too touristy, but it's a beautiful setting and I think the food is fine and reasonably priced.
Nov 27th, 2010, 11:36 AM

The church you need to take a bus to is not a cathedral - in fact, it is tiny. I think it is the Silent Night Chapel. There was a lengthy report last year by several here who went. You could search for it - plenty of info there. Have a great time. CJ
Nov 27th, 2010, 02:18 PM

The service I enjoyed and mentioned above is the Midnight Mass at the Cathedral, not the Silent Night Chapel in Oberndorf. The Cathedral is in the Altstadt off Mozart Square in Salzburg. What you are referring to CarolJean is a way different thing about 15-20 mile outside Salzburg.
Nov 27th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

We'll definately do the cathedral in Saltzburg. I appreciate all the input.
Nov 27th, 2010, 03:50 PM

JulieVikmanis, AisleSeat, and quokka all spelled Salzburg correctly, but you came back and spelled it the same way that you did at the start. How could you not notice? As for 'definately' ...
Nov 27th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Gee Burt, Thanks for the spelling lessons. How's the puncuation and grammar?
Nov 27th, 2010, 04:17 PM

Just wait till you see how creative I can be with "Berchtesgaden".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO