Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Christmas in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/christmas-in-rome-556042/)

3cuteboys Sep 2nd, 2005 04:06 PM

Christmas in Rome

Planning to travel to Rome w/family from Christmas thru New Years 8-days. Mom,Dad, & 3-boys (ages 16,14,11). Not sure if we should just stay in Rome, or split the travel to 2 places. We were thinking Florence or Venice, but is the weather okay to travel to either place? Which would the boys enjoy more? Also, should we take the train to these places (I have no idea). Any advice/suggestions? Thanks!

dutyfree Sep 2nd, 2005 05:43 PM

Plan on alot of things closed as the Italians are very family oriented/Catholic-stores,restaurants,etc. tend to be closed for the holiday.I would suggest dressing in layers during that period as it could go either way with the weather. I think that if you can find alot of things open I would concentrate on Rome,Pompeii and sidetrips from Rome even up to Florence for the day.Trying to do all the cities on one trip wastes too much time traveling and not enough enjoying the sights,people and food!

sandi_travelnut Sep 2nd, 2005 05:45 PM

when you ask if the weather is "ok", what do you mena? I was in Venice last Christmas (04) and it was fairly cold (low 40s) and very rainy. There was high water for half of the first part of 2 days. That, of course, could be fun for the kids to play in w/ plastic sacks on their feet. Personally, if I had to do it again, I'd choose Rome over Venice for Christmas. Possibly better weather and more things to do and you're not held back by high water and the vaps not running.

3cuteboys Sep 6th, 2005 01:40 PM

Thanks for the responses. I guess I should have been more specific. We're planning atleast 4 days in Rome (Christmas for sure) and then travel 3-4 days up to New Years to Venice or Florence. Venice - is it okay to travel and sightsee Venice when it's high-water season? Florence - is 1-2 days worth it? Do you suggest we travel via train to Venice or Florence? (I'm taking my 3-boys, 16,14&11.) Also, in Rome I'm searching for hotels or apartments - would you suggest the Piazza Navona area or Tresteveri? I want somewhere we can just walk outside and see some action.

About 8-days in Rome, I'm just not sure if it's too long of a stay - if you think we have enough to do in Rome we might just stay there. Thanks again!

sandi_travelnut Sep 6th, 2005 07:45 PM

Yes, millions of people travel to Venice during the season when it might flood (which only last a few hours in the morning)..so it must be "ok". I would recommend the train, it's just under 3 hours for the trip. If you find yourelf in Florence, then 2 days is fine. The boys would probably like the science museum on the banks of the Arno. Fascinating really, also there's a Da Vinci museum in Florence with some of his inventions recreated in life size. They should also like climbing to the top of the duomo for an incredible view of the city.

LoveItaly Sep 6th, 2005 07:58 PM

Hi 3cuteboys, I would go by train to Florence and Venice also. When you get to N Italy you can get a really low dense fog and consequently there is sometimes terrible auto accidents. Going by train is much better.

I will say that the flooding in Pizza San Marco does not happen just in the morning. It happens after heavy rain storms with the high tide. It can happen at any time. But it is an adventure and sure does not involve all of Venice. And no doubt your sons will get a kick out of it. Best wishes.

sallyjane3 Sep 7th, 2005 07:18 AM

Was in Rome Xmas 2003 and Venice Xmas 2004. I would definitely do both. The contrast between these wonderful cities is great. No worries about the flooding. Your guys will love it.

sallyjane3 Sep 7th, 2005 07:20 AM

Oh, one more thing: We found lots of places in Rome...shops, restuarants, etc...closing up early on Christmas EVE but all open on Christmas Day.Saw little difference in Venice on either Christmas Eve or The Day.

3cuteboys Sep 7th, 2005 08:34 AM

Thanks so much for your info. So if Venice is under 3 hours from Rome on Train -- How Far is Florence on Train?
Thanks!

Eloise Sep 7th, 2005 09:06 AM

Sorry, but Rome to Venice with the fastest Eurostar train is 4 hours and a
half. Rome to Florence with the Eurostar is about 1 hour and a half.

SandyB Sep 8th, 2005 06:46 PM

We were in Italy last Christmas-New Year's with our 4 (18-22) children. We started in Siena and drove to Florence for a day trip, and a day in San Gimingiano, and other hilltowns. After 4 days we headed to Rome for 5 nights. We found the weather to be perfect for jackets with layers.

I would settle into an apartment in Rome and stay put, and do day trips from Rome to Florence and Siena by train or bus. You will not want or need a car in Rome. Venice is too far away, IMO, for a day trip. With a few day tripsmixed in, 8 days is not too long to stay in Rome. You will see alot more by not moving around so much.

We rented an apartment from www.romepower.com. It is a great site and allows rentals for any day, rather than the ususal Sat. - Sat. apartment rental. The site is very user friendly.

Have a great trip. I also have 3 cute boys and one beautiful daughter!

Rome was fasinating over New Years. We were able to get tickets to the Pope's Mass of World Peace on New Year's Day at St. Peter's Basillica. Little did we know then that this would be His last holy day celebration at St. Peter's.