Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Short Trip (8dys) - Barcelona, Paris & Venice (1st time) - from Australia.

Old Jan 19th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, my husband and are wanting to fly to Europe this September. We live in Melbourne, Australia & this is our first time to Europe.

We have a total of 10 days, but we understand that 2 days will be taken travelling to and from Europe.

So we were thinking 3 days Barcelona, 3 days in Paris and 2 days in Venice.

Yes, this is way too much to do in 8 days. I understand that each of these cities could be done alone in 8 days, but we don't have the luxury of this. We will not be returning back to Europe anytime soon as we have 3 small children under 5 years of age financially we won't be able to do this in a long time.

What is the best way to fit in these 3 places?
What is your advice in making this work?
How should we travel between countries & in what order?

Our novice idea was to fly Melbourne to Barcelona, stay 3 days then do an overnight train to Paris. There stay 3 days, then overnight train from Paris to Venice. Here stay 2 days then fly out from Venice region to Melbourne?

The aim of our trip is to have a short romantic European getaway. To walk around and enjoy where we are, see beautiful sites, immerse ourselves in the new environment, enjoying great food.

Please note we are not architecturally or art inclined but not adverse either. Our only desire is to have lunch/dinner at Eiffel Tower. Yes, we are simple, young people, in our late 20's.

Thank you in advance for your helpful tips.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 12:17 AM

Hi again Emma, You've done well to narrow down what you want to see, but to be honest, 2 destinations would be better. How about splitting your time between Barcelona and Paris? If you did that you could squeeze in a day trip from Paris to Versailles, which is spectacular.

My daughter and her husband have recently had their first trip to Europe and these were their favourite cities, they are also in their 20's.

If you don't sleep well on the overnight train you'll feel very average for your first day in Paris. It might be just as easy to fly. You'll also have some jetlag on your first day in Barcelona.

Again well done in narrowing down the destinations you want to see.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 05:11 AM

I have done Paris and Barcelona and it was a very nice trip. Keep in mind that we have been to Paris many times and twice to Barcelona so we weren't frantic to tour, just enjoy. We also took the fast train (TGV) from Paris to Barcelona. I really enjoyed it, nice scenery and city to city, no airport waiting and security.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 05:43 AM

Splitting the time between two cities does not allow for a day trip to Versailles or anywhere else, assuming you really want to see Paris. Just my opinion.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 06:57 AM

Emma - your trip as it now stands certainly sounds doable - but you won't know until May for sure, whether there is a night train between Paris and Venice. See http://www.italiarail.com/thello - put in the rough date you want to travel and you'll get the information that the summer timetable (which includes September) isn't issued until May. But give your email address and you'll be informed as soon as it comes out.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 10:50 AM

Three cities in 8 days, no, make that 6 days (see below) is hardly worth coming all the way from the other side of the world. As already noted, I'd stick with one main destination, your choice. You'll be exhausted the first day or two and will need time to recover from the flight, unless of course you're flying first class on one of the airlines that provide total comfort and peace and quiet for such a long flight.

Emirates/Qantas has one of the best connections from Melbourne to Barcelona (or Venice), 24 hours 15 min, with one stop in Dubai (29 hours 25 min on the return flight), which looks to me like you'll be arriving sometime into your second day of traveling. It's not the same as an overnight trip.

The round-trip to Paris has a better overall flight time. The return flight is much shorter, down to 22 hours 30 min., and you have several more options when selecting an airline, but few match the luxury of Qutar or Emirates.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 11:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
One city (Paris) would be best of all, but I know the pull to really REALLY try to squeeze in more.

So Paris and one of the others. It will still be VERY hectic/rushed. For the jet lag reasons Robert mentions plus the fact you lose so much time moving from one city to the next. So your 10 days, down to 8 days is really only 6 and a skosh days of truly useable time.

Jet lag the first day so a very light sightseeing day. Then you'll lose between 1/2 and nearly a full day moving to the next city. BTW - Even an overnight train -- IF it is still operating -- loses you time since you have to check out, get to the station and when you get to the new city, it is early and your hotel room isn't likely ready. So you drop the bags and later in the day have to faff about going back to the hotel to check in and un pack. So it save a bit of time but not all that much and you may not sleep a wink.

Then the last day is partly packing and getting to the airport.

So all the time in Paris - giving you enough time for a trip to Chartres or Versailles - would be my choice.

Or most of the time in Paris and maybe a couple of days in Venice or Barcelona.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 11:33 AM

It appears the overnight train is a thing of the past on the Barcelona-Paris route. Renfe is only offering one morning and one afternoon departure at this time. The trips take 6hr 25min and 6hr 33min.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 12:19 PM

You can still go via overnight train Barcelona to Paris but not direct - you take a TGV from Barcelona at 18:26, get to Perpignan at 19:47 and lavve there on a night train at 21:07, arriving in Paris Austerlitz at 7:22 am.

Thus though the old Talgo night trains direct Barcelona to Paris are history on most days at least it is still possible to do an overnight thing.

The Paris-Venice night train is threatened to being removed as well - like the Florence and Rome to Paris thello night trains were - for more updates and info on European trains check www.seat61.com - this site has updates on Thello trains - and www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

Be sure you can put up with a modicum of noise on night trains or you will arrive sleepless - I can and have done many but others just cannot and there is always noise on night trains - wheels going over tracks, station PA announcement, folks going thru the hallways or in couchette compartments - the French train only has multi-person couchettes - no private compartments like the old Elipsos Talgo hotel trains did - folks going in and out at night.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 12:35 PM

Just a small note, when we fly from Australia to Europe the jetlag isn't too bad. Europe to Australia, the jetlag is hideous!
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 12:46 PM

I would highly encourage you to do one city. But if you must do more, skip Barcelona. Fly to Paris, then fly to Venice. It is only a 2-hour flight and if you buy your tickets with enough advance notice, they can be rather inexpensive (under €100 each). Fly home from Venice.

Try Kayak.com for Paris to Venice flights.

Good luck. (Please trust the seasoned travelers here. Many, many of us have been in your situation and understand the absolute desire to "see it all". For the money you are spending, though, wouldn't you prefer to actually have a relaxing, romantic time with each other than having only memories of packing/unpacking/traveling/checking into/out of hotels?)
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses.

We really want to do the three cities. We understand it's going to be hectic hence why we wanted to know your thoughts on the BEST way to do it to maximise time.

We have a flight ATM (not booked) from MELB to PAR flying out BAR to MELB.

So how about an idea of keeping this flight option and then possibly going to Venice then from Venice to Barcelona, will this work?

Or other options?

Thanks
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Or if we do only two cities which one's Paris and Venice or Paris and Barcelona.
Knowing that we're in our late 20's, want to not go or see anything specific (other then Eiffel Tower) and walk around, immerse in culture, eat and drink and enjoy the new surroundings?

Thanks again.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 11:56 PM

Here are the logistics. Check out of Paris hotel, transport to airport, say one hour. Paris to Venice is an international flight so allow several hours check in time, fly to Venice 90 minutes, deplane, go through customs, immigration etc, say one hour. Transport into Venice, find hotel check in etc, say another 2 hours. Total holiday time lost: 7 hours = more or less 1 day.

Check out of Venice hotel, make way to train for transport to airport for another international flight say 3 hours, flight from Venice to Barcelona 90 minutes, deplane go through customs, immigration etc, say one hour. Transport into Barcelona, find hotel check in etc, say another 2 hours. Total holiday time lost: 7 hours = more or less 1 day.

Now I get that you'll have to lose some time even with 2 cities, but you will throw away an entire day out of your very tight schedule getting from either Paris to Venice, or Venice to Barcelona. Please, please reconsider.

If you had 14 days I'd encourage you to see three places, but you don't! Venice will still be there when your children have finished school etc.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 11:57 PM

Hi Emma

We have travelled many times from Australia to Europe. We make sure our flight leaves Aus late afternoon - makes sleeping at least part of the way a greater possibility, and we don't really have any problem with jet lag.

As Cathie says, the return trip is another thing entirely - DH is OK after a couple of days, but I'm a bit of a dead loss after around 3 pm each day for at least 5 days.

When you reach your first destination in Europe, my advice is to have a shower (and a short snooze if you need it), then convert to local time straight away for meals and sleeping. Di
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 01:08 AM

I totally agree. On arriving home, we find ourselves awake at odd hours during the night unable to get back to sleep. Although, with three children under five, you are probably used to that!!! Been there, done that.

I will join the chorus to keep it to two places. Only you can decide your second place after Paris. Our son and his wife [around your age ] recently visited Barcelona for a couple of nights and loved it. You want to enjoy this time together without it being all about getting to and from airports and train stations. And every time you move it costs money as well as time. Spend the money you save on a lovely meal.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 04:21 AM

Without wishing to sound rude, did you not post a similar query a few weeks back and were advised to limit to 2 cities max with this timeframe? I understand that it's your trip and that you are not compelled to take the advice offered here, but I'm wondering why you're asking for help again having seemingly ignored most of the advice given previously.

The three cities you've picked are not that far apart and this would probably be doable for someone starting in Europe, but you have the two long flights to/from Australia at each end and it will be a good half days transit (or more) between each city once there so will eat into your schedule considerably.

The one thing you have in your favour is that you have very few must sees and thus don't have a packed itinerary in any city. The only advice I can really give if you are determined to do it this way is that you get an open jaw ticket ie do not fly into and out of the same city or you will have to retrace your steps needlessly.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 04:23 AM

Ok, I see you have already booked your flight...
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 04:47 AM

Realistically, as others have said you only have 6 days on the ground.
You leave on Day 1, fly 24 hours, arrive Day 2, get to hotel. Day 9 you do the reverse, which leaves Days 3 to 8 to see what you want to see. Two changes of city eats even more into that time. Flying from one city to the next will take several hours due to the need to get to and from airports and the requirement to be at the airport a couple of hours before your flight.
One thing you won't need to do is go through immigration and customs again since you remain in the Schengen zone.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 07:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do 3 cities if you just have to. But realize you will be spending fully 1/3 of your entire holiday in airports, on airplanes, in transit from the various airports to your hotels and back, checking in, checking out.

You have been advised by many Fodorites here and on your other thread ( http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...everything.cfm ) to limit yourselves to Paris or Paris and a couple of days in one other city

. . . now make your own decisions . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -