Search

st matthias church concert budapest

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2018, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
st matthias church concert budapest

Hi all,

it seems that there is a free organ concert in st matthias church in budapest on the time i will be in budapest.
the problem is i dont understand how i should get in. in the website it is written that opening hours for visitors are between 13:00 - 17:00, but the concert is on 19:30.

does someone here know something about it?
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 09:26 AM

That church has a lot of those tourist concert type things that are major revenue all over Europe now. They pick a church, sell expensive tickets to tourists, and them play about an hour of various old chestnut snippets, most of which have zero to do with that country. Vivaldi, being considered inoffensive to listeners who don't really like classical music, is often a common denominator. But those tickets are not free (they have plenty of those type concerts at that church). here is an example of that
Concerts in Matthias Church Budapest - Budapest Concert

Lots of churches have periodic organ recitals that are free, also. I am not understanding your question or why you think you cannot just go to the church and walk in if it is free. That's the way it is at every church I've ever been to in Europe that was having a free concert/recital. Usually one door may remain open and there may be someone giving out a program there and collecting a freewill donation or something. I presume that is the one at 19:30 on Sundays? It's only 30 minutes.
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.
Yet, that is not the case. I was hoping for someone who know the church to answer
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 12:37 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you considered sending an e-mail to the church? I've done this when researching church concerts in Germany and Switzerland and have always gotten a response. I see several e-mail contacts on their website.

https://www.matyas-templom.hu/
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like a great idea! I will
Old Nov 13th, 2018, 06:21 AM

The hours - 13:00 - 17:00 - are for when tourists can enter and view the interior of the church. The other time is when the concert begins. There will be people outside at the side entrance to sell any remaining tickets and to let you in. If you visit the church be sure to go up to the gallery to the left. There are great views of the tile floor below and the stained glass windows.

Pjk