Christmas in Europe??

Search

Christmas in Europe??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas in Europe??

My soon to be husband and I are relocating from NYC to Dublin, Ireland in mid-Nov and since we won't have family in Ireland, we are thinking about going somewhere for the Christmas/New Year Holiday.

We would like someplace warm, except for Spain as we are planning on heading there in 2004. Anyone have any suggestions?????
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:13 AM

Congratulations on the move, I am sure you will love Ireland. I have been an expat for 15 years, and it is a great experience.

Unfortunately, there a not a lot of warm places in Europe in the winter. Even Spain (where you don't want to go anyway) is cool. Madrid can get snow, as can Rome (rare for both though.) Sicily is about the only place that could be warm, but even then average temps are still only in the mid to high 60s F.

People are under the impression that places like the Riviera, Italy and Spain are always warm and sunny, but that is not the case. Good sites for historical weather info are worlclimate.com and weatherbase.com

Egypt, Jordan and other places on the southern edge of the Mediterranean are warmer. Turkey is about the same as Western Europe.

that being said, Europe is a great place to celebrate Christmas, as everthing is decorated. I am sure Dublin will be beautiful at that time; other good choices are London, Zurich, Paris and Rome.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:19 AM
AllyPally

Hi there,

We are heading to Morocco, specifically Marrakesh. It's only a 4 hour plane ride away, albeit I expect it will be sunny if not necessarly warm.

My other suggestions would be: Egypt (AMAZING) or Dubai.

Although there is sun in southern Europe in December, I would not count on it being warm.

Otherwise, if you are flexible on temperature, I would recommend a northern european christmas, perhaps in Germany or Belgium (specifically Bruges). They are not like american christmases, much more cosy and traditional, less commercial. I am planning to visit Cologne in December and staying in a hotel that was once a water tower!

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:26 AM

Crete, especially the southern coast, might be pleasant, if not actually warm. I have heard, however, that some place on the southern coast has year round swimming; it is closer to Africa than it is to mainland Greece.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:28 AM
AllyPally

I agree with Grandmere. You need to focus on locations close to Africa to get the warmth you want.

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:26 AM

Congrats on th move, I did the same from NY 8 years ago to Dublin! Realistically you wont get muh heat in europe at this time of yer with the exception of possibly places like Lanzarote, Tenerife etc. There are several packages you could get from Dublin for christmas time that include accommodation. Check out Michael Stein travel on the web and sunway travel. There are a few others just let me know if you would like them. You can arrange this in advance via e-mail from the states. Be wary of the "budget Places" as many can be a bit crummy. Egypt ios quite cheap these days and there are packages from Dublin as well as Morocco. Let me know if you have any queries about moving to Dublin as I know what it is like to get on your feet here! You will love it here Best of Luck

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies and suggestions I was naively under the impression that Southern Europe would be warm in December.

SiobhanP - Thank you for your reply. We only just recently found out about the move so any info or websites you can direct me to about relocating to Dublin would be great, or suggestions on the best neighborhoods to look for an apartment. I am 28 and he is 32 and we have no children, so we would like to be in the heart of the city rather than on the outskirts.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 09:47 AM

Hippirep, Areas to live in depend upon how much you want to spend (its pricier here) and type of neighborhood. For example temple Bar sounds like a fun idea but can be a nightmare for noise. Access to public transport can get you a good place just past the centre but a few minutes by dart of bus. I am in my thirties and live on the edge of the city centre and its great as I am only a 15 minute walk to temple bar. I own my place but rentals are getting easier as there are more on the market and the property market has lots of places to rent recently compared with 2 years ago. Send me you e-mail and I can pass along some estate agents and sites. Oh one off my head is www.daft.ie for apartment rentals. I would stay close to the city at first to get to know it and then decide after a few months. I know a few people who may know apts for let. There is a lot going on in the city and christmas is a fun time but after it gets quiet from Jan/feb as people are partied out! They go nuts here at christmas.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Siobhanp - Thanks for your help. I was looking at Temple Bar, but I wouldn't want to live someplace that is noisy. My email address is [email protected] I am familiar with the Daft site but it does not help with the descriptions of the neighborhoods. I believe my husband's office is in Dublin 4, so any areas that would be an easy commute (20-30 mins) would be ideal.

I think we have decided to go to Italy for Christmas.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Siobhanp - Thanks for your help. I was looking at Temple Bar, but I wouldn't want to live someplace that is noisy. My email address is [email protected] I am familiar with the Daft site but it does not help with the descriptions of the neighborhoods. I believe my husband's office is in Dublin 4, so any areas that would be an easy commute (20-30 mins) would be ideal.

Also, I think we have decided to go to Italy for Christmas and next Christmas stay in Dublin.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Pequot

I will be in Italy for Christmas also. My daughter lives in Rome but would like to travel also. Any ideas for a good base. We have previously spent a week in Sicily, travelled several days on Amalfi coast, spent a few days in Cinque Terre and drove parts of Tuscany (Chianti, Montepulciano, Montalcino, Siena.) We have seen Venice, Florence and Orvieto. We are not looking for warm weather, just someplace that will not be totally off season. Any ideas?

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Peqout - I am new to European Travel, this will be my first time there. We are thinking about spending a few nights in the Naples Area and then heading up to Rome. Good Luck with your planning.