Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Christmas in England - Suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/christmas-in-england-suggestions-824179/)

rickmav Jan 30th, 2010 08:55 AM

Christmas in England - Suggestions

In 2006 my husband and I spent Christmas in England and had a wonderful time. Up until Christmas week we were just outside Stratford on Avon and loved the town's enthusiasm for the season. Lots of decorations, free bus tours to see the lights, markets with vendors from France, carol-singing in the middle of High Street with everyone joining in, free tours of the Shakespeare properties, etc. Christmas week we spent near Oxford, also nice, although not as frenetic as Stratford. We are planning - far ahead - to spend Xmas 2011 in England. Can those of you who live in England, or who have visited at Christmas, recommend a town that celebrates like Stratford? We had heard that Bath at Xmas was nice, although Bath is not really one of my favourite places anymore. Others we were wondering about: Canterbury, York, Dartmouth - but are open to any community that throws itself wholeheartedly into the season with markets, concerts (especially pantos!), decorations, etc. Thanks.

annhig Jan 30th, 2010 09:03 AM

well, Rickmav, it won't surprise you I'm sure that I'm going to make a bid for Cornwall. although there are no permanent christmas markets, most towns have late-night shopping once a week [eg Truro Wednesday, Falmouth Thursday] there are lots of concerts and Christmas shows, loads of pretty Christmas lights and decorations, [Truro in particular goes to town with this] and most years, great weather. we have been for a walk on the beach at Marazion most years and been able to eat lunch outside! it was a bit colder this year but we still had two lovely walks over the holidays.

you will also find a great choice of accommodation either in towns/villages [i think that Falmouth would be my choice] or out in the countryside.

Advert over!

janisj Jan 30th, 2010 09:03 AM

I haven't been in York at/near Christmas for many years - but that would be one of my first thoughts. Maybe Morgana will see your thread, since she lives in the area and can give you good info about Christmas festivities there.

janisj Jan 30th, 2010 09:13 AM

was posting the same time as annhig . . .

Cornwall sounds like a good choice too.

rickmav Jan 30th, 2010 11:51 AM

Thanks annhig and janisj. I adore Cornwall, will look further into Falmouth. Have visited there, we were staying in St Mawes, so know the area a bit. Also hoping Morgana will have a view on York.

annhig Jan 30th, 2010 12:44 PM

if you decide on York be sure to find out what music is going on in the Cathedral - their new organist/choir master was at Truro until about a year ago, and is a very fine musician.

the choir is bound to be wonderful to listen to.

rickmav Jan 31st, 2010 07:17 PM

Hoping by topping I will get some more ideas. Thanks in advance.

Morgana Feb 1st, 2010 12:48 AM

York is beautiful any time of the year, but at Christmas it really is magical. I think the best thing to do is have a look at the Christmas 2009 brochure which is currently still on line - here's the link where you can download the brochure.
www.visityork.org/inspire/christmas/default.aspx
The National Railway Museum (worth a trip any time of the year, free entry) often has a Christmas exhibition on.
Plus of course you have the friendliness of Yorkshire people and the delicious local food up here (if you decide on York I'd be happy to advise on restaurants etc but not accommodation because I live close by and don't stay in York).
A Christmas concert at the minster would be amazing!
I assume there will be a panto at the Opera House which is in the heart of the city too.
I am not sure where you will be travelling from but York is on the main east coast railway line and under 2 hours from London Kings Cross. If you have a few days in York you could hop on a train and go to nearby Durham which is a lovely little city with a stunning Cathedral and castle.
Durham Cathedral contains the tombs of St Cuthbert and the Venerable Bede.
http://www.thisisdurham.com/site/att...l-and-churches

Lifeman Feb 1st, 2010 07:26 AM

What about Manchester? You'll find Christmas markets in three squares in the city, with stallholders from France, Germany and Austria. Shopping is excellent in the big stores and shopping centres. Pantomimes are always on at that time of the year in the theatres and you'll also find concerts and carol services in places like the Bridgewater Hall and Manchester Cathedral.

The City has a fantastic choice of good hotels to suit all budgets and great restaurants to suit all tastes. You'll find cuisine from Brazil to Greece, Indian subcontinent, China, most European countries, Mexico, Argentina etc. etc.

Manchester has wonderful buildings, Roman ruins and great modern architecture and history. The world's first computer was built in Manchester and it is the home of many technological advances over the last 250 or so years.

rickmav Feb 1st, 2010 05:09 PM

Thanks Morgana and Lifeman. You have given me great ideas for further research. It's still almost two years away, but we enjoyed ourselves so much the first Xmas in England, that I'm already excited.

Steve_Farr Nov 7th, 2010 02:30 PM

Here's a stretch. I head back to the UK a lot and love it, but the closest I've seen to old style Christmases was Dublin. If you can spring it, extend your 2011 trip to a weekend in Dublin. It is really worth it.