Christmas Holidays in Bavaria

Nov 20th, 2000, 12:52 PM
Bobbie

Christmas Holidays in Bavaria

My family of 4 (2 adult children) will be spending a week in Munich, Venice, Salzberg from Dec. 26-Jan.2. We are renting a car and are wondering what we might expect in the way of road conditions. We want to visit Garmisch, Innsbruck, and maybe Rothenberg. Also.....any great ideas for celebrating New Year's in Munich? Thanks. Bobbie

Nov 20th, 2000, 07:05 PM
Art

A tough question. You could have clear roads, snowed in, fog and anything in between. In general the main roads are kept clear.

Nov 21st, 2000, 09:45 AM
Willi

That's "SalzbUrg", Liebchen. Expect lots of cold and snow, maybe some ice. But the roads will be cleared, unless there's an absolute blizzard. Bavaria and Austria normally get lots of snow, so the people there know how to deal with it. And drive in it. If you're uncomfortable driving in changeable conditions (or if you are unused to driving in snow and ice, especially up and down mountains), you may want to opt for train travel. It's extensive, frequent, and comfortable. Plus, you can spend more time looking at the glorious scenery and less on the roads. Less eye strain from glare, too. Rothenburg is a good two hours north of Munich (maybe even farther). If you're looking for beauty and (ahem - I hate this word) quaint towns/villages, you may want to consider Passau. There are plenty of beautiful towns and villages not far from Salzburg, too. Have fun! Frohe Weihnachten!

Nov 21st, 2000, 09:54 AM
Tom

You never know what driving conditions await you. I did a similar trip two years ago (Munich, Garmish, Rothenburg, etc), and the hills were covered with snow and the roads clear as a bell. Coming from the deep south, I had my concerns. But this board allayed my fears. The Germans and Swiss really stay on top of the driving conditions. One word of advice, if you don't want to eat in your hotel for New Years, try to make reservations in a restaruant now. In Rothenburg, for example, even our hotel had trouble making room for us at dinner and there was no other availability in town.

Nov 21st, 2000, 01:11 PM
Bob

The Alpine road from Berchtesgaden to Garmisch will probably be closed if you are thinking of that route after Salzburg.

Definitely check out Berchtesgaden if you go to Salzburg. Great area. Passau is also underlooked and very quaint.

Roads will basically be in good shape unless a storm has just occurred.

The American Armed forces used to have an MP station in downtown Garmisch where you could get road conditions in that area before you took off. I think it is still there plus find the Armed Forces radio station on your car radio and they give road reports in English.

Nov 21st, 2000, 01:16 PM
fred

Hi Bobbie. The area you are going to is great. We were there in Christmas 1995.
Garmish and Salzburg are wonderful. If you are driving in Austria make sure you get a Vienette ( Spelling ??). It is a sticker for the Autobahn. Steep fine if you don't have one. Have a great time.
Fred