Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Christmas Eve and Day in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/christmas-eve-and-day-in-paris-51940/)

Mary Aug 29th, 1999 05:07 PM

Christmas Eve and Day in Paris

My trip to Paris originally planned for early August was postponed until December. <BR> <BR>I will be arriving in Paris on the morning of December 24th and leaving for London on the 29th. <BR> <BR>What should I expect in Paris on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? I am assuming many places will be closed but also hoping there may be some special events (e.g., Midnight Mass at Notre Dame). I would appreciate any information you can pass along about these 2 days in Paris. Thanks. <BR> <BR>

Lori Aug 29th, 1999 08:37 PM

Mary, <BR>We've visited family in Paris at Christmas time so we were not too concerned about what was open and what was not, but it seems to me that not much was. Churchs, including Notre Dame all have services tho, altho I am not sure of times. Finding a place to eat might not be too easy - if you are staying in a large hotel with a dining room I would expect that would be open for the guests, but I really don't recall much being open. <BR> <BR>Christmas Eve Day was pretty busy with lots of hustle and bustle, Christmas shoppers, etc. but we did notice that places tended to close early. <BR> <BR>Do take time to walk the Champs Elysee at night during your time there - all the trees are lit with small while lights and it is quite magical looking. <BR> <BR>

Lori Aug 29th, 1999 08:37 PM

Mary, <BR>We've visited family in Paris at Christmas time so we were not too concerned about what was open and what was not, but it seems to me that not much was. Churchs, including Notre Dame all have services tho, altho I am not sure of times. Finding a place to eat might not be too easy - if you are staying in a large hotel with a dining room I would expect that would be open for the guests, but I really don't recall much being open. <BR> <BR>Christmas Eve Day was pretty busy with lots of hustle and bustle, Christmas shoppers, etc. but we did notice that places tended to close early. <BR> <BR>Do take time to walk the Champs Elysees at night during your time there - all the trees are lit with small while lights and it is quite magical looking. <BR> <BR>

Ben Haines Aug 30th, 1999 11:32 AM

If you look now into http://www.pariscope.fr you'll see how it's aid out Then you may be able to check it on 22 December, the date it will show the Christmas period. But if not no matter: you can buy the magazine itself for seven francs at your arrival airport. <BR> <BR>Beyond hat, if ou're a chuchgoer you might turn up at ten on Christmas morning at the St Joseph's English speaking Roman Catholic church, 50 avenue Hoch, the American Cathedral, 23 avenue George-V, the Scottish Church, 17 rue Bayard, or St Georges Anglican Church, 7 rue Auguste Vacquerie. These are all in the 8th arrondissement, not miles from the Arc de Triomphe. <BR> <BR>Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR>

Christina Aug 30th, 1999 01:39 PM

Many mod to high-price restaurants, espec. in hotels, far from being closed have special Christmas Eve (Reveillon) or Day meals. It's best to reserve well ahead if you want to do that. One suggestion is the brasserie restaurant in the Hotel Lutetia in 6th arr near Sevres-Babylone metro as that's a beautiful Art Deco hotel and I think I've heard they have a reasonable prix fixe festive Christmas menu in their Brasserie restaurant (around 300-400F, I think, which is good for a special Xmas eve meal); they also have a more expensive in-house restaurant. There are usually some concerts around Paris at various churches around Christmas, even week afte, you'll have to check entertainment guides when you get there (e.g., there was a candlelight concert the day after Christmas at St-Julien le Pauvre church a few years ago). There are some special event things around Paris, like the skating rink at Hotel de Ville, lights along the Champs-Elysees or avenues Vendome/Montaigne and elsewhere, ferris wheel on Place de la Concorde, Christmas windows in the big dept stores. And, midnight masses in various churches; at Notre Dame there are several on Christmas Eve so as to fit all the crowds in, I guess (plus, midnight is pretty late for some folks), at around 6:30 pm, 9 pm and then midnight. On Christmas Day there are lots of services, also every 1-1/2 to 2 hours in the morning, starting around 8. Anyway, this is slightly dated info, so don't quote me on exact times, it's just for general info and planning.