Christmas Day Taxis in Rome

Old Sep 12th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas Day Taxis in Rome

We will be in Rome during Christmas week. He are hoping to go to dinner Christmas day evening. We will need a taxi around 7:30 pm & 11:30 pm. Will they be out. I had heard transportation is sorta limited on Christmas day.

Thanks
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 03:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't been to Rome over Christmas.... Are you staying in a hotel? They should be able to order a cab for you. They could also book the return for 11:30, but the restaurant should also be able to call one for you when you're ready to leave. What is the distance?
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

It's actually a private home about a mile & a half from our hotel. Hadn't thought of hotel.
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by tesh11
It's actually a private home about a mile & a half from our hotel. Hadn't thought of hotel.
your hotel can call one for you on the way there, and your hosts can call one for the way back. The streets do not abound with taxis on christmas day but they are not completely off, either.
to become more independent, you can also download and set up one of the two reputable taxi apps, my taxi and it taxi (i have a preference for this latter in rome), which work pretty much like uber, but with official taxis. Only feature that doesn’t work perfect is pre-booking, so you should always try to book for now, leaving enough of a margin for possible delays. On a normal day, i always get a taxi within 4 minutes.
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 01:58 AM

Hi, I stayed in Rome at Christmas in 2005. This is a very good question.

The tradition in Rome is this: half of the taxi drivers in Rome take the week off from Dec 23 or 24 until New Year's. It gets TREMENDOUSLY hard to get a taxi. My cousins missed a family event because they simply could not get a cab.

Again, this is not an exaggeration. What I was told is that the city's taxi companies agree on the numbers of all the people being given vacations and it is truly about 50 percent will be on vacation.

No idea if Uber is picking up the slack as that wasn't available when we went. I would encourage you to stay near a Metro stop, if possible, or hire a car service for any events. On at least one occasion, my uncle's hotel just couldn't get him a taxi. At restaurants, ask a waiter to call a taxi before you pay your bill. Tip well for this. Also, check the metro schedules. They might stop running after midnight, but I'm not sure on that.