Christmas Day in Austria

Dec 9th, 2002, 01:32 PM
hank

Christmas Day in Austria

Our family is planning to visit Austria over Christmas and we are looking for the perfect village or small city to visit on Christmas Day. Suggestions?? Thanks.

Dec 9th, 2002, 03:33 PM
bettyk

When we lived in Vienna, we spent one Christmas in the town of Abtenau which is south and east of Salzburg. My husband skied while the dogs and I just walked all around town. It's near the Dachstein mountains and the surroundings are quite lovely. We attended a Christmas Eve service at the local church and had our Christmas meal at our hotel with the other guests. Can't remember the name of the hotel off the top of my head, but I could find it if you are interested.

http://www.lammertal.com/en/abtenau.shtml

Dec 9th, 2002, 04:25 PM
hank

Betty-

Thanks for your reply. We are considering the Salzburg area and if you could find the name of that hotel in Abtenau that would be great! Thanks.

Dec 9th, 2002, 06:36 PM
bettyk

Hank, the hotel was called the Hotel Lammertalerhof. It is right in the middle of town. I found a website but it is only in German: http://www.lammertalerhof.at/. Another website I found about the Lammertalerhof (also in German) said that English was spoken so you could try sending an email inquiry.

Good luck!

Dec 10th, 2002, 01:39 AM
nick

As an alternative, could look at Hallstatt - very touristy, but deservedly so with UNESCO Heritage protection. The Salzkammergut area is gorgeous. Berchtesgarten in Germany but near the border also is very nice - not as picturesque town, but scenery is also stunning and nearby Konigsee is very beautiful.

Dec 10th, 2002, 11:31 AM
bill

Hank,

How far into Austria do you want to go?

I am a big fan of the Tirol regeion of Austria. There are so many excellent small village and cities throughout Austria. One of the smallest towns I have ever stayed in was Ellmau. It is near the Wilder kaiser. By car it is 35 minutes from Kufstein.

www.wilderkaiser.com will get you to the webpage or St Johann in Tirol. Excellent place to spend Christmas.

www.tiscover.at/guide will get you to the webpage for all of the regions in Austria. Click on a few of the regions. You may be quite impressed.

We were in Austria this fall and the road to the Grossglockner was closed. If it is open you may consider heading up towards the Grossglockner. There are so many small towns for you visit in that area. If you are into making reservations, it may make good sense.

Do yourself some research into the Tirol area.

I'll be heading back over next summer. I will be staying around Ellmau, maybe in Going.

Have a great time. I wish I could get away. I noticed that Austrian Air are running unbelievable internet specials. I saw NYC to Vienna for $200 RT!!

Merry X Mas

Dec 10th, 2002, 11:39 AM
xxx

Hank,

The info in the last post about Tirol was excellent info, but you may want to check www.tiscover.com/guide

That will get you to the same webpage as the www.tiscover.at/guide, but it'll be in English.

Good luck

Dec 10th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Hank

Thanks for the information. It's all very helpful. We hope to get some skiing in during our trip as well. I will check the web sites you suggested. Thanks.