Christmas Airfare from JFK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking to spend the Christmas/New Year's week in Rome (9 nights from 12/23-1/1). We have spent New Year's abroad several times but always leave after Christmas and return after the New Year, so we have never seen airfare this high before.

The best price I have seen thus far is $911 RT on Alitalia (Delta codeshare) from JFK. This seems prohibitive, but will pay it if I have to. I know this is like asking if it will rain on Tuesday two years from now, but are Christmas airfares always this high? I am anxious to book so that I can secure our lodging.

Unfortunately our dates are (sort of) inflexible - my husband's shop closes down for the holiday and he doesn't have any vacation time accrued yet.

Thanks,
Eva
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 04:56 AM

We're waiting. We're going over the Thanksgiving weekend (11/17-11/24). I'll begin serious checking in August.
When I took that week two years ago, it was in August that the fall specials "hit". Man-o-man did I fly inexpensively. My fingers are crossed for this year.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Christmas airfares are always much higher than the weeks surrounding them. If you check airfare seasons, the low-fare winter season in Europe extends from November 1 through March 31. Then the fine print will tell you that this does not includes the Christmas or Easter holidays. Try jiggling your dates a few dayif possible to see if the rates get lower.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Bumping for update....

On a whim I checked Expedia yesterday before leaving work. I was able to snag a fare on Alitalia (not my first choice, but whatever) for $718/RT/PP including all taxes and fees. I was thrilled and booked it right away.

Watch out Rome - we're coming for the holidays!!! I'll be back with more questions after I do some more research on my own.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:20 AM

Glad to hear you found the fare you wanted.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:02 AM
jay

Eva, I think nowadays 718 is a pretty good fare. We spent christmas/ New Years in Rome several years ago. Let me know if you have any questions.