COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Christiana Threatened

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Christiana Threatened

What is Copenhagen's number two most popular tourist sight after the Little Mermaid? Well according to a recent NYT article, it's Christiana, the so-called 'free city' dating from the early 70s, when squattor hippies took over anunused military barracks right in the heart of Copenhagen and declaring themselves as an experiment in alternative lifestyles, claimed independence from the outside world. The commune was incredibly allowed just to do so by local officials and soon gained wide public support. Christiana has now evolved into an amazing place featuring novel houses and enterprises. It also has one of Copenhagen's top-rated restaurants and concert halls. But Denmark'snew center-right government has announced ambitions to give the aging hippies the boot, reclaim the land, still owned by the military, and reap millions by selling off the prime water-side land for upscale housing. Christiana is famous all over Europe, especially for its Pusher Street, where unfettered sales of cannibas, especially hashis, has gone on forever, being allowed since police have rarely dared venture into the commune. The pot sales seem to be the major irritant for the right-wing government. Plans to relegate Christiana to the scrap heap of history however may run into promised large riots as residents marshall its ample support among Copenhagen residents - the NYT article said a poll says 70% of residents support Christiana's continued existence as an 'experiment'. But who knows, Copenhagen may soon lose one of Europe's most bizarre and intriguing sites and sights. Christiana is not for the bashful, one time i was there and middle-aged lady just squatted over a sewer grate, pulled up her dress and urinated right in front of everybody and the eskimos from Danish Greenland who come here and drink and drug themselves into oblivion are not nice sights. Anyone have any Christiana experiences to relate? Give me these type of sights over the Little Mermaid type sights or stuffy museums any day!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:47 AM

IMO beer is stronger than pot. I dont know what people's hang up with it is.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:02 AM
jor

Sounds like a great place for all of Europe's dope heads and junkies. Maybe they could put a wall around it.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:40 AM

Isn't there a similar commune type enclave in Amsterdam, or do I have my cities mixed up? (Not that I care; haven't smoked anything in years and years. Just an experiment. Didn't inhale.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:47 AM
dumas1870

I heard a rumor Bill Clinton was going to run for Mayor of the place.

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:24 AM
dln

I fail to see the attraction of such a place. Just reading this post made me shudder. I hope you don't view this Christiana as some type of "utopia," for any place that would encourage the middle-aged to squat and run is just the kind of place most of us would run, run, run away from.

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:37 AM

kinda sounds like the East Village to me.

As for what makes me shudder - squeaky clean, everything-in-it's- proper-place, manicured suburbs - now that's scary - not to mention the wacked out, insulated, comatose suburbanites.....
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:50 AM

Maybe they can move to Idaho.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 12:08 PM

Well said marktynerny! Those "stepford" communities scare the hell outta me too!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 12:27 PM

dumas...that one really got a laugh.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:53 PM

JandaO, people's hangup with pot is that since it's not their drug of choice, they don't want other people indulging in it.

Americans (who, in general, don't know much about history) should take the time to check out the recommendations of former president Nixon's National Commission on Marijuana and Drug Abuse ("the Shafer Commission"). The the Commission issued its recommendation that marijuana offenses not be a crime but Nixon, who had appointed the commission, disagreed.

"Nixon Tapes Reveal Twisted Roots Of Marijuana Prohibition"

http://www.csdp.org/news/news/nixon.htm

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:25 PM
Intrepid

Gee...do you think that those people who live in the commune go to Heaven when they die? Do they believe in "family values"????? When they vote for Bill Clinton for mayor will ALL their votes actually get counted? Are they losing money in the stock market? Do they have health care? Are firearms readily available so they can "protect their loved ones" from Hillary? Are Osama and Saddam in hiding in the commune? Perhaps we should start another war to make sure they don't try to come over to this country and harm us.