Notices

chrismas in rome

Oct 21st, 2014, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

chrismas in rome

So, I am going to Rome from the 24th to 29th of December. the itinerary is as follows:

24th December - since I arrive in Rome at about 3pm, I will unpack at the hotel, and then walk around the city till late
25th December - since it's christmas, I read that everywhere in Rome is dead. nothing is open at all, so I'll just wander the city centre to see the spanish steps, trevi fountain, piazza navona, travestere, etc etc.
26th December - Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill in the morning, and then bioparco and villa borghese gardens in the afternoon.
27th December - Considering a 1 day trip to Florence since I really want to go there. I heard its only 1.5 hrs train each way. So if I leave at 8am from rome and 8pm from Florence, it will give me around 10 hours to explore Florence. Enough time to see the Duomo, nat. history museum, river, bridge and the gardens.
28th December - Vatican in the morning, shopping in the afternoon at Euroma2
29th December - check out

So my question is.... is there anything open in rome on christmas day? anything I missed out? I do not plan to see a lot of art and history, so I will not take more than 4 hours in Colosseum and Vatican... I hope.

Any thoughts?
Oct 21st, 2014, 12:37 PM

Get tickets in advance for the two major museums in Florence; this will save you time waiting in line!

You might find a beautiful church on Christmas morning and sit in on Mass.
Oct 21st, 2014, 12:42 PM

as ever, mm, google is your friend.

here's one site to get you going:

http://www.rome.info/museums/cards/

in summary, highly unlikely that any museums or galleries will be open on 25th Dec but many may be open on 26th, and of course lots of churches will be open on the day itself so if you do some research on the times of services you may be able to get a good look at quite a few, remembering of course not to disturb worshipers.

sadly the trevi is covered in scaffolding as if quite a lot of the colosseum.
Oct 21st, 2014, 02:09 PM

We spent Christmas/New Years in Rome last year. Please review my trip report for details. No, Rome was not dead on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve at all! I was concerned about finding restaurants open and it was no problem. Trastevere will have many options. We found a few places that were old favorites that were closed but over all, I was surprised by the number of shops and restaurants open.

Search this Thread