Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Choosing the Hilltown, calling all better-than-travel-agents

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been researching for a while but would like to have input from the very knowledgeable contributors here on Fodor.
My spouse and I will be in Italy for one week this fall. The beginning will be spent in the CT and the end in Florence. Between those two is still not finalized. I would like to stay in a smaller place in Tuscany ( or Umbria?)that allows for great walking, eating, people watching and just roaming in general. Anotber factor is that we will not be renting a car. Can you give any suggestions? Thanks for all your help.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 10:29 AM

Without a car, my suggestion would be Siena.

Siena is a beautiful small city/ large hilltown with lots of shopping and many good restaurants. The Campo is a perfect spot for people watching. Siena is also large enough to do lots of walking while not having the crowds and noise of Florence.

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 10:57 AM

You have 2 very good options. Siena is the obvious and certainly worth your time. However, do not overlook Lucca. It has a real ambiance of authenticity to me and is not nearly as crowded with tourists and tour busses. A great place to hang and people watch.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:59 PM

I have to disagree with Bobthenavigator, who often gives excellent advice. We are just back from Siena and Lucca, and are still trying to figure out why people bother with Lucca at all. Yes, it's more authentic than other hill towns, but I don't know how important that is on the average tourist's list of where to visit.

Siena definitely IMO, offers more of what you're looking for.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:21 PM

While Siena is a nice city, I think you're looking for something smaller and more relaxing?
PIENZA! You can get there by bus, you'll die over the food shops and little wonderful restaurants, and you can take a couple of wonderful hikes (or one way by bus) to nearby towns. Montechiello is just an hour and a half at most walk away -- and delightful. You can hike on to Montepulciano from there. (or take the bus in the morning to Montepulciano and hike all the way back to Pienza through Monteciello. You can also take a bus for less than an hour trip to Siena if you want.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:32 PM

I must agree with Weadles regarding Lucca. I was there for 2 nights in 2001, and really cannot think of anything that I would recommend it for except the cathedral. I thought it was a little on the dirty side (and I can think of no other Italian town I would use the word "dirty" for except Tivoli); I really think they should make more of an effort to clean up the dog doodoo.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 03:50 AM

How can one hilltown, or ANY town, in Italy, be "more authentic" than another one??? Is one really in Austria or something????

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 04:53 AM

Topman,

Less changes to the physical structure of the buildings and streets, fewer tour busses.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 03:04 PM

agree that Siena is preferred over Lucca - don't get the Lucca thing at all.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 04:51 AM

Assisi!! Pienza also would be nice.
Why not get a car for a few days? It opens up many possibilities.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 07:43 AM

Second the Assisi recommendation above. Also, check our Orvieto, which meets your desire to walk, eat, roam and people-watch. It's also very accessible by rail.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:59 AM

I would get a car for a few days -- you can enjoy multiple little towns and driving in Tuscany is easy and fun. Pienza, Montalcino, Montelpulciano are great. We didn't get to see much of Pienza, so that's a must for us next time.