Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Choosing--Mull, Iona, Staffa Ferry tour or Skye--Opinions Please

Old Jul 6th, 2003, 08:42 PM
bth
Original Poster

Our family is looking at possibilities. Fingal's Cave sounds very interesting to all of us, but I don't usually see it listed as a "must do". Is the scenery really a lot prettier on Skye vs. Mull/Iona? Lots of opinions, please...
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 10:02 PM

I really LOVE Mull - the scenery is not as dramatic as on Skye. But the beaches are among the prettiest anywhere. Vast white sand beaches that you would swear were in the tropics - if it wasn't for the Scottish weather.

if you have 3 or 4 days to spare you could easily do both Skye and Mull/Iona/Staffa.

A couple of days on Mull would give you time to see a lot of it (but not all of course) including 1/2 a day or so on Iona and a three hour trip out to Staffa including time to clamber about the island and walk out into Fingal's Cave. Plus on the trip out and back you would likely see seals and sea birds.

On Mull see Duart Castle, Calgary Bay, Tobermory and just the general scenery. Some of the beaches on the southwest side of the island are usually deserted and GORGEOUS.

On Skye the most dramatic scenery is on the Totternish penninsula north of Portree and in the Cullins on the west side. Those plus Dunvegan Castle are the "must sees".
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 02:28 AM

Both Mull and Skye and big islands with fine scenery. The boat trip to Staffa is dependent on the weather and wouldn't appeal to people who don't like boats, but Fingal's cave is worth seeing. For details of these trips, see www.fingals-cave-staffa.co.uk, www.staffatrips.f9.co.uk and www.turusmara.com.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:56 AM
bth
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Is Fingal's cave just "worth seeing", or is it one of the top experiences? I have been to a sea cave before and heard kind of a moaning sound from the waves--is this really a lot different from that? Sorry for all the questions, but the tour would take a full day and I just want a feel for how memorable it would be compared to more time on the mainland.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:26 AM

The interesting feature of Fingal's Cave is the geology: it has columns of basalt which look quite unnatural. The rocks are similar to the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland. There are descriptions and pictures on www.fingals-cave-staffa.co.uk. Whether it's worth going to Staffa will depend very much on your own tastes and on the weather.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:40 PM

I don't think on its own it's the bee's knees. But a day sailing up the Sound of Mull, passing the Treshnich Islands and Staffa with medelssohn's "Fingal's Cave" playing in the background, visiting Iona, Scotland's cradle of Christianity and fine beaches, and home, would be time well spent
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:34 PM
bth
Original Poster

Any preference as to the tour company to use for the ferry?
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 02:16 PM

Hello Janis- you're the Mull expert it seems (to me) so I have a question about the beaches you mentioned. I'll be in Mull in September with a car and am wondering if there is any area to park to access some of the south coast beaches. Are they the sort of pull off the road and wander down the brush to get to them sort of places, or are there actually parking facilities?
Forgive my ignorance-I know so little about the area and am trying to learn. : )
thanks
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 03:52 PM

If i might chuck in my tuppenceworth...

Mull is not famous for beaches. If you are on Mull, it's wothwhile to visit the beaches at Calgary. Where, incidentally, you can park right beside the short grass above the sand, if that's what you want to do.

But if you are looking for beaches, don't put Mull at the top of the pile. Tiree, maybe, or the Uists; or Harris; or the west coast of Islay; or even Machrihanish on the mainland (think Local Hero). But not Mull
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 03:53 PM

emjoy: Well - there are usually few if any people at any of the beaches except maybe up at Calgary Bay. There is an informal parking area there.

But down on the S and SW side of the island you will likely only see the odd hiker or a family out walking the dogs. One of the best places is along Ardalanish Bay and just next door at Unisken. You can just park by the side of the road or at the Argyll Arms hotel and walk in to either beach.

And out at the tip at Fidden across from the tiny isle of Erraid - when the tide is out you can walk to the island which is the setting for Kidnapped.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 11:23 AM

thanks again janis and sheila. I'll be spending 4 lovely days in Mull in september and although beaches are not the reason I'm going, I love the sea, seafronts, walking along them etc. -so thank you for the tips.
I don't see many listings for the sealife cruises on the boards for Mull, have you ever taken on of the their whale watching cruises? You apparently get to stop on a small island for picnic lunch on the 6 hour cruise. Just wondering.
Using someone else's post to fuel my own queries again. : )
thanks
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 11:58 AM

I vote for Skye
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 02:47 PM

Lots of the boat trips are from Oban.

But have a look at thisbr />
http://www.tobermory.mull.com/ttd.htm