Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Choosing between two Positano Hotels- Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/choosing-between-two-positano-hotels-help-385446/)

jend Dec 31st, 2003 08:11 AM

Choosing between two Positano Hotels- Help!

Has anyone stayed at Casa Cosenza or La Fenice in Positano, Italy? They both are recommneded on KarenBrown.com and offer sea views at great prices (120-130E/daily).
Any comments or suggestions

Wayne Dec 31st, 2003 12:07 PM

I haven't heard of either of these, but you might be sure to check out the exact location. There are some great-sounding rentals in Positano that are so far out of the village that you might as well not be there. On the other hand, if all you want is a view of the water, then go for it.

You are doing exactly the right thing in looking for someone (other than those who wrote about it in Karen Brown) who has actually stayed at one of these places. Without that certain knowledge, it is difficult to make a decision. Good luck.

mcmrjm Dec 31st, 2003 12:51 PM

We stayed at Albergo Casa Albertina about 5 years ago and loved it. It's a 3 star and they do have a web site but do not state the price of rooms. It's family run and now, I believe, the son has taken over. You have to climb many steps to get there but if you're going to Positano, I guess you realize it's all up and down many steps. Mary

ira Dec 31st, 2003 04:54 PM

Hi jend,

You might wish to consider the Le Sirene hotel in Praiano. We loved it.

www.lesirene.com/

jend Jan 1st, 2004 08:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestions - we want a location close to the center of Positano and don't mind steps:)
Villa Rosa and Albergo Casa Albertina have also come highly recommended. Do you know if any of these four have pools?

Philip Jan 1st, 2004 11:17 AM

Dear Jend,

We stayed at La Fenice with another couple. I was able to get the two bedroom unit below the highway with incredible views. I wish we could have stayed a week. Each evening you have a nice bottle of wine and just watch the sunset.

Couple of observations: close to downtown (about 10 minute walk); breakfast is way (get ready to huff and puff) above highway and not their best point; cute bird at breakfast that says hello in several languages; if you have auto, pay the extra for parking; they had a nice pool just to the side of our unit.

Bottom line ~ incredible value (only wish they had coffee makers in room ~ check and see if they have added) and wonderful place to stay.

Pwem Jan 1st, 2004 01:27 PM

We stayed at Villa Rosa in September. There is no pool, but each room has a nice terrace on which you can have breakfast each morning with a very good view. Some rooms on the lower floor have a slightly obstructed view (Le Sirenuse sits in front of it); rooms on the top floor have an excellent view. Very reasonably priced as compared to other Positano hotels (probably because of the lengthy steps leading up to the hotel). But, all of Positano is walking up and down hills, so some added steps at the end was no big deal to us. The owners and staff couldn't be nicer