Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Choosing a Hotel - Paris budget accomodations poll (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/choosing-a-hotel-paris-budget-accomodations-poll-238701/)

Stentor Jul 11th, 2002 12:45 PM

Choosing a Hotel - Paris budget accomodations poll

<BR>I'm not a stickler for frills. I'm a 24 year old graduate student looking for a private room in a safe, cheap hotel in an interesting Paris neighborhood, close to the Metro for my 2 week soujourn in France. I have narrowed my choices down to these 6 hotels and was wondering the posters take on these options. Should I keep looking?<BR><BR>Castex Hotel (5, rue Castex)<BR>Hotel Esmeralda (4, rue St-Julien-le-Pauvre)<BR>Grand Hotel du Loiret (8, rue des Mauvais Garcons)<BR>Modern Hotel (121, rue du Chemin Vert)<BR>Hotel Tiquetonne (6, rue Tiquetonne)<BR>Hotel Picard (26, rue de Picardie)<BR><BR>Thank you

Christina Jul 12th, 2002 09:56 AM

I'm sorry but I have not stayed at any, so can't tell you much except I have read about most of those in many places and guidebooks, they seem a good list of very budget places if you want to be in the Marais/Bastille area. If you haven't seen comments, check out www.paris.org/Hotels and guides www.eurocheapo.com and www.timeout.com (almost all are in eurocheapo, is that where you got them?).<BR><BR>Personally, I would scratch the MOdern - I really dislike its rooms which is personal of course (I won't book hotels with lights on the wall like that), but it is much farther out and in a more inconvenient location than the others, so I'd forget it because it has no advantage. I've heard too many weird things about Esmeralda so I don't know about that one, although some find it an experience. I don't like its neighborhood, though.<BR><BR>Two weeks is a long time, do you mean you are staying in Paris alone for two weeks? If so, I would hedge my bets and experience two neighborhoods by booking two hotels during that time. These rooms will be small and basic so even a slight change in venue and decor will be welcome, probably. If I were you, I'd book one week in the Marais/Bastille area and another around place Contrescarpe in the Latin Quarter or around the Sorbonne, somewhere like that.

Ceci Jul 12th, 2002 10:02 AM

Take the Esmeralda off the list. Dirty, dumpy, nasty staff, and cats all over the place.Yuck!

Liz Jul 12th, 2002 10:09 AM

I posted recently about the Castex, do a search.

elaine Jul 12th, 2002 10:11 AM

Hi I just quickly did a search on this message board by using the box at the top, and I found several positive comments on the Castex.<BR>You can go ahead and do the search to read them.<BR>One comment was that the rooms were small and clean, but rooms on rue Castex were noisy<BR>good luck

Patricia Jul 12th, 2002 11:12 AM

Check out Hotel Henri IV 25 place Dauphine. You could not be in a better location. It is on the Ile de la Cite near Pont Neuf bridge. It is in the center of Paris. You are near a lot of tourists sites and it is very quiet. They only take cash no credit cards. This might fit your bill nicely. Do be forewarned that it is a very old building and you have to climb narrow steps. The rooms could be modernized. For the price you can overlook its shortcomings. The location just cannot be beat.

veeolette Jul 12th, 2002 03:06 PM

I agree with Patricia. We just stayed at the Henri IV in May and I have a friend that stays there every year. Be prepared to climb stairs - lots of stairs. The toilet may not be on the same floor in our case it was one flight down. However, the location is wonderful. There's 3 metro stops within 3 blocks. The Latin Quarter is on one side of the Seine and the Marais is on the other. If you want to stay in just one hotel this is it, but if you want to stay in a couple - make this one of them. They speak some English and you must sent a deposit in advance. Book early - lots of people stay at the hotel on a regular basis.

Carrie Jul 12th, 2002 04:12 PM

I've read in many guidebooks that the Esmeralda is not as good as before. It was quirky to begin with but now it's not only still quirky but it's in need of a good refurbishing. <BR><BR>Wouldn't you rather paying a slightly bit more for a nicer hotel? There are many other budget hotels.

anita Jul 14th, 2002 07:28 AM

I am not familiar with those hotels but I did enjoy our stay in the Marais/ Bastille area. How much are you looking to spend? I think a good idea is to book for say a week with the option of extending & then check out areas when you get there. If you like another area to try then fine, if not stay where you are.

John Jul 14th, 2002 08:08 AM

I stayed at Picard, it was about 10 years ago. Perfectly fine. Matched all your qualifications. Friendly staff. Nothing luxurious but clean. Near Republic Metro station.

marciab Jul 14th, 2002 10:04 AM

I stayed at Hotel de la Porte Doree in the 12th near the Bois de Vincennes. It is literally steps from the Metro, and I found it very good value, clean, friendly. I had a double room for one person at 56 euro, 57 euro for same room for a double, very good price, ensuite bathroom. Hallways are being renovated but the room was great! Nice lobby English speaking front desk.

r Jul 14th, 2002 10:07 AM

Sorry, I can not help you with your list of hotels, but here are two more for you.<BR><BR>Le Lux Hotel (1 star)<BR>8 avenue de Corbera<BR>75012 Paris<BR>Tel: 01 43 43 42 84<BR>Fax: 01 43 44 14 45<BR>Metro: Gare de Lyon & Reuilly Diderot<BR>I stayed there about five years ago, the room was clean and the price was very reasonable. If you call for reservations, you may have to speak French. There was a full bath and elevator.<BR><BR>Hotel Jean Bart (2 star)<BR>9 rue Jean Bart (about 2 blocks w of Luxemborg Gardens)<BR>75006 Paris<BR>Phone: 01 45 48 29 13<BR>Metro: St Sulpice<BR>I stayed there last year, the room was small, but clean and the location was good. Bath with shower and elevator. You will have to speak French to make reservations.<BR><BR>Bon journey!

Stentor Jul 15th, 2002 07:19 AM

<BR>Thank you for your thoughtful advice and recommendations. Just to clarify my question a bit - unfortunately I am on a tight budget, so when I say "budget," I mean approx 60 Euros a night for a double. Hotel Henri IV looks marvelous, but I cannot afford 130 a night. Maybe in a couple of years...<BR><BR>Thanks again for your help. Perhaps with this bit of knowledge, I can garner a couple of more tips!

elle Jul 16th, 2002 08:59 AM

I think you may have the wrong "Henri IV". There is one in the 5th--I believe it's called Residence Henri IV. But then there's the really inexpensive one on the Place Dauphine on the Ile de la Cite. I can't believe that it would either "look marvelous" or cost more than $100 per night.

Budget traveler Jul 16th, 2002 09:06 AM

Try the website www.eurocheapo.com. When you click on Paris, there are some great recommendations for different areas.

monique Jul 16th, 2002 09:35 AM

How about a hostel? It's a great way to meet people if you get lonely, and very cheap. Some have private rooms if that's what you want. I've heard fabulous thing about the MIJE hostels.<BR><BR>I like the Hotel du Champ de Mars near the Eiffel, in the Rue Cler neighborhood. Very close to the Metro.<BR>www.hotel-du-champ-de-mars.com

Christina Jul 16th, 2002 09:51 AM

I wasn't going to comment on the Henri IV thing as I figured Stentor must have really liked it -- but, I personally don't think that is such a great location myself, being on that island. It isn't a regular neighborhood and I just don't find it that convenient or interesting as a place to stay, but some folks above must have, so that's the problem as people have different taste. I think he must have looked at the Residence Henri IV which has nice suites, also.<BR><BR>However, although I wouldn't view it as marvelous either, it would be criminal for it to charge 130 euro, it is about 40 euro for a basic room and maybe 50-60 euro if you get private facilities. A lot of the rooms don't have toilets, so it is really basic. So that is a place Stentor could consider. There are lots of hotels in Paris for 60 euro or less without staying in a hostel.

Stentor Jul 16th, 2002 09:54 AM

<BR>Yes indeed. I did find the wrong Henri IV. I will look into the cheaper option, although I think I would rather look at options deeper in the Left Bank.<BR><BR>Thanks again for all the advice...

ttt Jul 16th, 2002 12:58 PM

Carol Jul 16th, 2002 01:34 PM

Stentor:<BR><BR>Although we haven't stayed there (we ended up staying somewhere that would be a bit above your range), a hotel that is very popular is the Familia Hotel in the 5th arron.<BR><BR>Their website is:<BR>www.hotel-paris-familia.com<BR><BR>The singles are 69 euros and the hotel looks wonderful. I believe they also own the Hotel Minerve at:<BR>www.hotel-paris-minerve.com<BR><BR>These are both in a great location and would probably be a good choice.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Carol