Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/choosing-a-hotel-campo-de-fiori-or-piazza-venezia-1162707/)

candj83 Dec 4th, 2016 04:22 AM

Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?

We will be visiting Rome to celebrate our anniversary April 2017. I have found a few properties that meet our expectations close to our budget. One is located close to Campo de' Fiori; the other is located close to Piazza Venezia. I would like to know which area you would recommend we stay in, and why. This is our second trip to Rome (first was our honeymoon five years ago). We have some familiarity with Rome, but that was five years ago and it was a quick trip. So, we'd really appreciate the input.

If it helps to know, we do tend to walk to most places. It seems to me that the Piazza Venezia is very centrally located for most sight-seeing that we'll be doing. Campo de' Fiori might be a bit out of the way? But it is nicely located for getting to the Trestavere area, which we have never explored before.

tripplanner001 Dec 4th, 2016 05:22 AM

Piazza Venezia is the hub for several bus lines and a tram line that goes straight to Trastevere, whereas Campo di Fiori may be more of a trek if you have lots of luggage and plan on taking public transport with it. Personally I like the area around Campo di Fiori so much better. The two areas are maybe 15-20 minutes apart and fully walkable on foot. We were just there last week and practically walked throughout. We stayed at a small hotel just off of Largo Argentina; from there it was about 10 minutes to Piazza Venezia, 20 minutes to the Roman Forum, 5 minutes to the Pantheon, 20-30 minutes or so to the Trevi Fountain / Spanish Steps, and about as much to the Vatican - all done on foot.

Mimar Dec 4th, 2016 05:39 AM

Piazza Venezia is a central transportation hub. It's busy and noisy. I would prefer a place close to the Campo dei Fiori, maybe on a side street.

TexasAggie Dec 4th, 2016 05:50 AM

We love the area near Campo di Fiori. We've been to Rome in the neighborhood of ten times. The Campo neighborhood is our favorite!
So much more charming than the Piazza Venezia vicinity.

progol Dec 4th, 2016 06:23 AM

Good to know! I've reserved an apartment for 8 nights in the Campo di Fiori area -

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/rome/cam...ellari-glamour

I can't wait!

annhig Dec 4th, 2016 07:43 AM

Also look at the area around the Pantheon and the Piazza Navona both of which are pretty central to most of the things that you are likely to want to see on a first visit. [i got flamed by someone for saying that once, but I still think it's true]

HappyTrvlr Dec 4th, 2016 07:14 PM

I totally agree with annhig. I prefer it to Campo d'Fiore.

efarr99 Dec 4th, 2016 07:57 PM

My husband and I spent 5 nights right off Campo d'Fiore last year and really enjoyed it. We walked just about everywhere from there. Used Uber to get to the Vatican and the Coliseum. I thought t was a lovely neighborhood.

candj83 Dec 5th, 2016 05:18 AM

Thank you everyone - we'll do some more hunting in the Campo d'Fiore and add Pantheon/Piazza Navona areas to our search. Sounds like they would both be nice. On our honeymoon we stayed right next to the Trevi Fountain and found it very walkable but very busy with people. Though the fountain was very peaceful in the mornings before it got crowded. We enjoyed walking to the Colosseum at night. As well as Giolitti's! :)

annhig Dec 5th, 2016 07:40 AM

please can I be very picky and remind you it's Campo dei Fiori?

[dei is a contraction of di meaning "of" and i meaning "the" plural - the whole phrase means Field of Flowers]

Apart from anything else, if you misspell it, if you are searching for hotels and apartments in that area you may not get as many hits than you would if you spelt it correctly.

Sorry to be a pedant!

Ackislander Dec 5th, 2016 08:01 AM

Our hotel in Campo Dei Fiori was convenient but very noisy. Lots of young people hanging around smoking and drinking to all hours.

HappyTrvlr Dec 5th, 2016 09:10 AM

There is a difference in the neighborhood when you the cross street to Campo di Fiori from the Piazza Navona/Pantheon areas.

Mimar Dec 5th, 2016 09:56 AM

The apartment you linked to looks great. (I saved it.)

If you're directly on the Campo dei Fiore, it might be noisy. Side streets, like where this apartment is located, are quieter. But Rome is a noisy city.

kybourbon Dec 7th, 2016 10:38 AM

>>>the other is located close to Piazza Venezia.<<<

Close to can mean anything. You could stay one block off Piazza Venezia and be in a totally quiet street with good access. Ditto for Campo.

candj83 Dec 7th, 2016 01:52 PM

I've booked us at Spanish Suites at Campo dei Fiori. Has pretty good reviews, a nice aesthetic, and in our budget. Looks like it should hopefully be well-located for getting around by foot for most sights that we're wanting to visit on this trip. Also, staff has been very responsive to my questions and helpful, which is much appreciated!

tripplanner001 Dec 7th, 2016 03:25 PM

Great. Would be interested in knowing what you thought of it.

Leely2 Dec 7th, 2016 03:44 PM

I think that's an excellent location, especially for walking to many sights. Via dei Giubbonari is not my favorite street in Rome because it can get awfully crowded (though not as bad as some of the streets off the Pantheon), but your little piazza is at the far end of it. Some good places to eat nearby too.

Enjoy your trip!