Search

London hotels or B&Bs under $200 USD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London hotels or B&Bs under $200 USD

Hi fellow fodorites,

I have been researching inexpensive places to stay in London (under $200/night for two people, for 4-5 couples). I found this place online, which has good reviews, but wanted to ask your opinion on the area:

Melbourne House
79 Belgrave Road
Victoria SW1V 2BG

The last time I was in London (2005), I stayed at the Thistle Charing Cross hotel (I used Priceline to get my single room). I loved the location, as I was able to walk to many sights. I am wondering about the location of the Melbourne.

Other places I'm considering are B&B's near the British museum, which I understand is a very good area.

Thanks!

Monica
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 05:53 AM

Near British Museum there are quite a few B&Bs.

Harlingford Hotel (B&B even though called Hotel) is one I used a few years back and it was quite good. On that same street are several others, also stayed at the Crescent whcih was OK. I've also seen the Morgan recommended here.

I good a good deal last May from Expedia for The Academy in Bloomsbury. Upscale place at a mid-scale pruice.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 05:54 AM

(Academy is hotel BTW, in period row houses)
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't stayed at Melbourne House but have walked past it countless times. (I've often rented flats in Pimlico). It is near the Pimlico tube station -- a bit farther from Victoria station. It is near the river, Tate Britain and not far from Buckingham Palace and Westminster.

Nothing about it from the outside is remarkable - one of scores of similar tourist class B&B hotels in the general area. The reviews on TA look like it is a a cut above many of its neighbors.

It is in one of the most convenient areas for tourists -- tube/buses/trains at Victoria station (either walking distance or one stop on the tube from Pimlico) and Victoria Coach Station for long distance/out-of-town excursions.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:20 AM

We stayed in a nice B&B about three years ago.It was $100 then! Great hospitality and breakfast. Be sure and stay in back on an upper floor as downstairs near breakfast room can be noisy.http://www.bb-belgravia.com/. Great stay for great price.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:33 AM

I stayed there in June 2008 for 6 nights; it was basic, but very clean and the staff was very helpful. The twin room was just slightly wider than the 2 beds (with about 1' between them) and there was just enough space at the foot for a small desk area and closet. The bathroom was a shower only and was small but the fixtures were in good condition and water pressure was fine. As is the case in similar places I've stayed in London, there is no elevator (they did carry our bags up for us, though) and the breakfast room is small. The included breakfast was basic (cornflakes, toast and yogurt).
As for the area, it was very close to Pimlico station and about a 10-15 minute walk to Victoria. We were comfortable in the area and there are many restaurants, pubs and coffee shops.
All that being said, I have stayed near the British Museum as well and preferred that area.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:38 AM

I use Londontown.com. I have 4 nighted booked in October at Millenium Gloucester at $115.00 a night. Love the location for transportation and it's in walking distance to several museums, shopping, restaurants and pubs
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. Since we are going to be going on a cruise and will have more luggage than normal, the Melbourne might be too small…based on lam67’s comments with the twin beds and small space. I will have to inquire with the hotel about luggage space.

I’ll check out the web site links provided.

I do like the area near the British museum and being closer to Charing cross; allhough we may be taking the train to Southampton, so being on the ‘south’ end might work out for us.

Monica
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 07:04 AM

Southampton trains leave from Waterloo -- so I'd check the Premier Inn County Hall, or anyplace along the Northern or Jubilee lines. Charing Cross would actually be quite convenient.

But since you think you'll have lots of luggage (even on a cruise, one doesn't need to take the kitchen sink though), you probably won't be using the tube to get to the station. Cabs or car a car service more likely. So you really can stay anyplace in the city.

You also might want to look into a private transfer to Southampton. For a small group the trains will be cheaper, but w/ 8 or 10 you might do better w/ door-to-door service.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 07:38 AM

If you have a lot of luggage, you are probably better off looking for a hotel rather than a b&b or guest house. The rooms might be a bit larger (consider a Holiday Inn, for example) and will provide a locked room for your extra luggage so you won't be tripping over it in your room.

As Avalon suggested, look on Londontown.com. You should have no problem finding a hotel in your price range (and if you can get the Millenium Gloucester for $115, grab it!).
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 09:37 AM
tod

Hi Monica,
I just checked the rates at The Ibis hotels in London - the one at Aldgate has a rate of $101 but I personally would prefer the Ibis Euston - right next to the station. We have stayed there every year for the past 3 years and love the area.
But, if I were trying to take a train from Waterloo I would definitely book at the Travelodge ( or could be the Travel Inn?) which is directly behind the Marriot in County Hall.
These two hotels are right next to the London Eye and all the action of the Thames - river cruises being one.
When you leave the hotel you walk a short distance up York Road and you will be at Waterloo station. Have a look on a good London Map and you'll see what I mean. I have dragged my suitcase very easily on this route - just don't be in a rush. We scouted the distance before we made the attempt with our cases and it was a cake walk!
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 11:56 AM

Tod-- "<i>I would definitely book at the Travelodge ( or could be the Travel Inn?)</i>"

That is the Premier Travel Inn I mentioned above
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 11:58 AM

If you used Priceline before, why not again?
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 12:20 PM

Priceline is great for London of course. But they need 5 rooms - that could complicate things. Plus, in a group of 10, there could be some 'pills' who would object to blind bidding and committing to an unknown place.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 12:33 PM

Last year I stayed with a group at the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury, near Russell Square station. The rooms were bigger than I was expecting (probably not quite as large as a typical American HI, but definitely bigger than other places I've stayed in the UK). It was a nice hotel and I'd recommend it; it's also close to the British Museum, which you say you like. I booked our rooms using Londontown.com; I think they were &pound;90 per room per night? They were definitely under your budget.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 05:14 PM

We stayed at the Park International on Cromwell Road at a rate within your price range. It is a block or so up Cromwell from the Gloucester Road tube stop and something like a £10 taxi ride to Victoria Station. Don't know about Waterloo. The room was a decent size, and breakfast was included.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks friends for the additional postings. I went ahead an booked a private service to take us to the port. I found some nice B&Bs in the Bloomsbury area in the 85 to 115 GBP range. No one will take reservations until the fall, but at least we have lots of options.

Monica
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 08:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you looked at the Morgan Hotel? Starspinners, that used to post here, always stayed there several weeks every fall.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...omsbury-rd.cfm
http://www.morganhotel.co.uk/
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 09:38 PM

I stayed in Bloomsbury near the British museum last year and was very disappointed by the noisiness. It may have been the particular hotel I was at. Sirens screeching by my window almost every hour through the night; I could not believe it. I would recommend reading the reviews carefully and if there is any mention of noise, keep looking. I had read TA before booking and there was only one guy who mentioned noisiness; well, he was right.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 09:45 PM

But ncounty - sirens are sort of a fact of life in London. Probably not an issue w/ your hotel specifically, nor of Bloomsbury in general. Earplugs are an answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -