Choice of two Paris hotels, what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both are in the 6th about a block and a half from each other...

One hotel, the Deux Continents, has a room with two twins for $160 US. It is on Rue Jacob. Not sure if anyone is familiar with it.

http://www.2continents-hotel.com/index.html

The other hotel is the St. Germain des Pres, a room with 2 twins, is 230 US. That hotel is around the corner on Rue Bonaparte.

http://www.hotel-paris-saint-germain...h/Location.htm

I am not seeing THAT much difference between the two except that one is $70 more than the other. Yes, this is our first trip to Paris.

If you know anything about either hotel, it would be helpful. Or if you know how to choose, that would also be helpful. Thanks for your time...Fodorites.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Heavens
Date: 02/16/2006, 03:51 pm
Excuse me, the Deux C is $160 euros. Not sure how much that is exactly in order to compare. Sorry about that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Accidentally posted this on the US board. Duh. Now reposting on the right board. Thanks all...
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 03:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Heavens, 160 euro = ~190 USD

I know this by going to www.xe.com and doing a conversion there.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Suze, I found this out. So, yes, one hotel is 230 US and the other is 190 US, they are around the block from each other. The cheaper one a friend has stayed in and loves, the other another friend and my TA has stayed in and loves and she says it is a bit nicer.

Any thoughts or knowledge on this??? Please. Gotta book soon. Thanks so much.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
While I'm no expert and don't know those two specific hotels (not to mention both are well above my budget), if one friend "loves" the slightly cheaper one and they are in the same neighborhood that'd be good enough for me.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 05:41 PM

How are the tripadvisor.com ratings?
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 05:46 PM

I think they're both well rated, and they're both very well located, so why not go with the less expensive one? You can't go wrong staying in the 6th arrondissement Les Deux Magots, Cafe de Flore, Gerard Mulot, Amorino, Saint Sulpice & Jardin du Luxembourg all nearby. Ahhhh....

Sandy
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:04 PM

I saw a few negative comments about both hotels at Trip Advisor. However, I'm not sure if they are all genuine. For a lesser rate try the sister hotel of Deux Continents, Hotel de Seine. www.paris-hotel-seine-river.com This hotel has a few negative comments posted also, but mainly it's because of the lack of a/c and the smallness of some of their rooms which is pretty typical of all Paris hotels.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:42 AM

Rue Jacob is a wonderful location in Paris. The Deux Continents is OK but IMHO not nearly as nice as the Hotel du Danube that is nearby at 58 Rue Jacob and a personal favorite of mine (been there twice and have only had positive experiences). Prices are about the same. Check out both websites and other reviews. Although the Trip Advisor reviews of the du Danube have some negative reports, most are in the "love the place" range. Can't say that for the Deux Continents.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:07 AM

I was one of a few who posted negative comments about the Danube. Apparently your opinions are dependent on what room you receive and who is at the desk during your visit. Many have had favorable experiences on both counts; I'm in the minority who did not have a favorable experience at that hotel.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Well, my gut told me to go with the more expensive hotel, the St. Germain des Pres for $230 a night. We will maybe only get here once and something from reading reviews on the tripadvisor and here and my TA tells me we will be a little happier here. Hope I am right. If anyone knows any reasong NOT to stay here and pay the more money, which is only like $30 more a day...please speak up.

Suze, this is over your budget? Where do you stay if you don't mind me asking?

You know, this is hard to make a pick over the big blue, pretty much sight unseen, and hope it is the right choice for everybody. Oh well...