Which top hotel?

Old Nov 14th, 1998, 04:01 PM
Peter

Which top hotel?

I am taking my wife to Paris for her birthday, however since the kids will be left with their grandparents in New York, we can only go for 4 days/3 nights. I am not sure which hotel would be in the best location and be the nicest. I am thinking about either the Marriott, since it is a 5 star hotel, or the Paris Inter-Continental. Once the twins are born, we will most likely not be able to have a similar trip again for 18 years. Hint, since she is 5 months pregnant, we need to limit our walking, so location is key. Thanks.

Old Nov 15th, 1998, 10:10 AM
jeanne

If you can plurge for a really great hotel, then I would not do the Marriott but go for something more special and more French.

Based on location (or even not!) my favorite would be the Relais Christine-on 3 rue christine. It is a renovated cloister of a 16th century abbey-very romantic, an has the unbelievable sense of calm for the the 6th! the fax is: 011.33.1.43.26.89.38
and the phone is: 011.33.143.26.71.80. It has 51 rooms, so it is small, but really a great hotel.

Some other really beautiful 4 star "French" hotels would be:

The Ritz-cooler than the Intercontinental

The Crillon
The Plaza Athenee

l'Abbaye St-Germain (another old abbey near the Luxembourg gardens)

Anyway, these are just suggestions-I am sure that many of these might have web sites-so you can check them out-but be forewarned they are all pricey!

Have a great trip!

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 12:18 PM
kam

I think the Intercontinental is just fine--wouldn't do the Marriott. The Ritz and the Meurice are in the same area, very centrally located with good walking areas, but Paris is a big, big city and you will need to research the metro if you're going to get around. Having just returned, our favorite area is the Ile St. Louis and there are two small hotels on the island which would be my idea of the best of Paris. Congrats and enjoy.

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 12:45 PM
elaine

I think the Intercontinental on rue de Rivoli is large, impersonal, and very
American. The Intercontinental Grand is just a couple of blocks from there, near the Ritz actually, and is much nicer.
Also look into the Lotti, also right bank, quite nice. The Plaza Athenee is exquisite, don't remember how close it is to the metro. And the new hot place on the left bank is the Montalmbert, if I'm spelling it correctly which is supposed to be newly renovated and very very nice.Check the location for convenience.

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 12:47 PM
elaine

I think the Intercontinental on rue de Rivoli is large, impersonal, and very
American. The Intercontinental Grand is just a couple of blocks from there, near the Ritz actually, and is much nicer.
Also look into the Lotti, also right bank, great location. The Plaza Athenee is exquisite, don't remember how close it is to the metro. And the new hot place on the left bank is the Montalmbert, if I'm spelling it correctly which is supposed to be newly renovated and very very nice.Check the location for convenience.

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 01:09 PM
Kay

In the same class as the Plaza Athenee is the Hotel Georg V at 31, rue Georg V. Four stars. It is exquisite, on the right bank, near a metro stop, near the Arc de Triumph (sp!), has exquisite services and rooms, and even was renovated since I stayed there two years ago. Can't imagine why because it was gorgeous the way it was. It's about $400-500 a day for a double, I believe. Confess I wouldn't have been there except a dear friend with business contacts there arranged for my stay. Now that's a friend!

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 09:58 PM
Jody

I would recommend the Hotel Scribe, around the corner from Opera Garnier. The hotel is spectacularly beautiful and romantic and positively oozes charm. You won't find much about it on the web or in the tour guides. Perhaps it's a well kept secret. Another fine choice would be the Hotel du Louvre. Very well located, with a metro stop right outside the door. Terrific "street entertainment" in the square just outside. Do recommend that you plan on learning to use the buses. We didn't try them until near the end of our trip - and wish we had done this on day one. Half a dozen or more lines go right past the Hotel du Louvre. Keep in mind, though, that the you must wave for the bus to stop. The stops are much closer to all the sights and attractions - and no stairs (and more stairs) or long, long hallways - and NO pickpockets! You get to soak up all the fabulous scenery along the way - and hop off whenever you see an appealing neighborhood and continue your trip later. Get yourself a copy of The Paris Mapguide. Not only does it have all the bus routes and stops on neighborhood maps, it's an excellent tour guide on its own.

Old Nov 19th, 1998, 04:39 AM
Eileen

Hi, Peter! My parents & I went to Paris last month and we stayed at the Le Grand Hotel Inter-Continental. Our triple room with breakfast cost around $300 per night and it was well worth it. The room was big, newly renovated, and the staff was very attentive. Contact the reservations department directly and try to haggle. If you're lucky, maybe they will have a weekend promotion. Otherwise, request for a discounted rate. Never accept their first offer which is the rack rate. They are capable of offering something more reasonable. The hotel is located right across the Opera in the 9th arrondissement. You can walk around the area and find Galleries Lafayette, Printemps, and nice boutiques very near the hotel. If location and convenience are top priorities, then Le Grand is for you. Address: 2, rue Scribe 75009 Paris.
Tel 33 (1) 40073232 FAX 33 (1) 42661251
FYI, Le Grand Inter-Continental is right across from Hotel Scribe which was recommended to you by Jody. I also asked for their rates but they were more expensive than Le Grand.

Another hotel which Hollywood stars patronize is Hotel Buci Latin located at Saint-Germain-des-Pres. It's a new hotel and very hip. They were fully booked last October because of the fashion shows in Paris. Address: 34, rue de Buci 75006 Paris. It's a small hotel with 27 rooms. I don't have the phone & fax details with me right now but if you're interested, let me know.

I hope you'll find these suggestions useful. Bon voyage to you & your wife. Have a wonderful time in Paris.

Old Nov 19th, 1998, 07:04 AM
Ron

Part of our 25th anniversary celebration last year was spent in Paris at the Hotel de Crillon. The Place de la Concorde sits across the street from it, the tree-lined Champs Elysee starts directly to the right of the Hotel entrance (with the Arc de Triomphe reached at the other end with a liesurely 20 minute walk down one of the more beautiful commercial streets anywhere), and the Rue de Rivoli with the Louvre etc., is a 5 minute jaunt away. If the beauty of the room doesn't get to you, the dozen red roses, chocolate truffles and a $100 bottle of French champagne will. Of course so will the cost. These things do not come cheap! It is over $600 dollars a night! But if it is a one visit, save your nickels (and dollars), eat bologna sandwiches for a while, go to Hotel de Crillon, and you will have a memory for a lifetime!

Old Nov 20th, 1998, 08:21 AM
Carol

Hi Peter:
The Ritz is synonymous with luxury and classically French style and elegance. If money is no object, I'd definitely choose it. Be sure to request a room with a terrace and tell them about your wife's birthday. The French love to celebrate romantic occasions!

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 06:59 AM
Gene Poland

I'd like to put in a plug for the Paris Marriott. We spent a week there is Sept of '97, just after it opened. It's a brand new hotel and very elegant. It's also conveniently located on the Champ Elysee. It's only two blocks from the nearest Metro station, which has escalator access. This should benefit your wife. This is one of the main Metro lines with easy access to all or most of the other lines.

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 07:42 AM
John

Peter, all the hotels mentioned are excellent and I doubt you will be disappointed in any one of them. I've stayed at the Inter-Continental many times and the Lotti a few times which is just up the street. You did ask about the best location. I don't think there is one "best" location. The Paris sights are pretty much spread all over the city which is not usually a problem with the Metro, buses and reasonable walking. Since your wife is 5 months pregnant you probably will have to limit the walking.