Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Chiusi car rental/Autoeurope location closed - advice please

Apr 7th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

I've rented several times through Autoeurope utilizing Europcar in Chiusi. The location has always worked well because it is about 1 1/2 blocks from the train station. We (3 women) will be there in a month. I made (& paid for) these same arrangements with Autoeurope for our return trip. I received an email today that the location is closed and the new location is at Chiusi's Downtown Office, Strada Statale 71, Localito Po Bandino. In looking at the Viamichelin map, it appears to be over the railroad tracks and a ways down - I'm hesitant to say this would easily be within walking distance.

I called Autoeurope to see if I could change to the Orvieto location. There is a freeze on renting out Avis cars for the month of May (according to Autoeurope) at the Orvieto location. We are staying in between Montepulciano and Pienza.

Does anyone have any knowledge of where the new Europcar location is in Chiusi? Is it within walking distance? As an alternative, Hertz website shows a railway location in Orvieto. Has anyone rented there? Is it within walking distance? I wonder if they have vehicles available. I'll check if this location is doable. Thanks, in advance.
Apr 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM

It's not within easy walking distance for anyone with luggage but my very limited experience is that taxis are generally available at the Chiusi train station.

Will you be carrying a cell phone? If there isn't a taxi in Chiusi, you could call the car rental office, or a taxi. Alternatively, one or two of you waiting with the luggage would be perfectly safe, and the walk over to the rental office is perfectly safe. It goes through an area of megastores. Really benign. I think with 3 of you, and given your destination, you might find it easier to just use Chiusi rather than pile on the extra miles renting elsewhere.

The rental office is fully stocked as far as I could tell.

Hope that helps.
Apr 7th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Zeppole - you have given several options to consider. As an alternative altogether from Chiusi, I called Hertz for Orvieto (which they say is at the train station) and their rental is actually about $35.00 less expensive. We're taking the train from Rome that morning. I've never seen Orvieto and understand it is charming. We could consider training to Orvieto, rent car, stick luggage in car (?), be a tourist in Orvieto, eat lunch there, then later in afternoon head to our B&B near Montepulciano/Pienza. Thoughts?
Apr 7th, 2009, 12:17 PM

You do not want drive in Orvieto. Stick the luggage in the car and if possible leave it at the rental location.
Apr 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM

Does AutoEurope not work with Hertz in Chiusi anymore? I've had rentals through AutoEurope from both EuropCar and Hertz in Chiui, and both offices were right near the station, the Hertz one right across from it.
Apr 7th, 2009, 12:36 PM

When I booked through AutoEurope a few years ago they brought the rental car to the train station. There were 2 people from the agency with our rental and another car so I didn't have to drive them back to the agency.
Apr 7th, 2009, 01:14 PM

dorkforcemom,

Now that I understand that you are coming from Roma, I think the Orvieto option is great. It is not merely a fascinating tufa town, it has one of the most beautiful cathedrals in Italy. I often say that just when you think you've seen enough gorgeous churches in Italy (and bring on the vino), the cathedral in Orvieto will make you gasp.

I didn't have a bit of a problem driving in Orvieto, but there is little reason to do so if you don't need to. Your plan sounds great.

StCirq,

Apparently car rentals in Chiusi are a thing in flux. Anybody considering taking a train there for a rental should speak directly with the car rental office about the logistics.
Apr 7th, 2009, 01:16 PM

If you are going to Chiusi, there is a really good restaurant just off the traffic circle at the Chiusi exit on the Autostrada. I can't remember the name but its a restaurant and bed and breakfast. It's just a little ways in the direction towards Chiusi. i even recommend it to people passing by on the Autostrada. it's only about 3 minutes off the exit.
Apr 8th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks thus far for the comments. Autoeurope doesn't deal with Hertz at Chiusi anymore. I checked on Hertz and they have a location by the Chiusi train station at a Peugot garage under an "independent licensee" (whatever that means). Does this sound reliable? So...the idea of taking a taxi in Chiusi to the rental car pickup is a thought. Or I could use Orvieto. Does anyone know if there is a luggage storage locker type facility at the Orvieto train station? I'm not sure it's safe to put our luggage in the back of a rental car, then walk off for sightseeing in Orvieto. Thoughts?
Apr 8th, 2009, 06:38 AM

I stayed in Orvieto a few years ago and there was a parking lot right near our hotel (Hotel Valentino). I didn't see any place to pay for parking so I think it was free. The day we spent in Orvieto (and the afternoon we arrived there) there appeared to be many open spots during the day. The hotel (and parking area) was a 5 minute walk to the main square. You could try parking at the top of town if you can't leave your luggage at the station.
Apr 8th, 2009, 07:40 AM

The historic part of Orvieto is a ZTL (Zona Traffico Limitato), for use by residents only:

http://www.orvietoonline.com/orvieto...o_orvieto.html