chitti chitti or lion king?

Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

chitti chitti or lion king?

which show is better for a 9 year old boy?
we will be in London in Feb. Any more suggestions that might interest the kid?
Thanks
Leil
Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:47 AM

We haven't seen Lion King, so I can't comment on that, but my 9 year old daughter and 10 year old son like Chitty last spring. The car flying out over the audience was pretty fantastic!
Do you want other theatre suggestions, or other suggestions for a 9 year old in general? My kids have been there 4 times, now, and LOVE London! I'd be happy to give you some of their favorites sites if that's what you're looking for.
Annette
Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:51 AM

I'm curious, on another thread you mentioned your 8 year old son. Are they both going, or did we forget the age of the one?

In any case, I think you should ask him. Has he seen videos of both movies? If not, he should. Then see which one he'd rather see performed live. In all honesty Lion King is a far better stage production that Chitty. But he might like the car coming out over the audience more than the animals in Lion King. I think he's old enough to decide for himself, whether he's 8 or 9.
Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:29 AM

Patrick, have you seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?
Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:38 AM

Yes, Howard. It was sort of fun. The car is undoubtedly the star of the show. There were a few good dance numbers. We were disappointed at the understudy replacing Michael Ball for the performance we saw, and he was very weak. I was mainly reminded how weak the score of that film was -- and the stage production didn't really seem much better. In fact the editing of the story was really disjointed, with a number of things making no sense. I think if I hadn't seen the movie (many years ago) I wouldn't have even understood a few of the characters or what was supposed to be happening.

Now Mary Poppins -- I'm really looking forward to that!!!
Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:44 AM

Chitty is fair, really not special at all. Yes, the car is cute, but my 7 year old grandaughter figured out how they did it in one minute.
Now, Lion King is splendid, amazing! Moving, exciting, has fighting, loving parents, scary scenes...what more could you want. The opening is the most exciting theatre I have ever seen. FYI..I have now seen Lion 3 times and it only gets better each time. With the price of tickets in London...I would not waste my money on Chitty.
Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:54 AM

Patrick,
I'm looking forward to "Mary Poppins", too.
I read that it will be opening , in mid December, at the Prince Edward.
What I didn't read is where Mamma Mia is moving, do you happen to know?
Feb 3rd, 2004, 08:01 AM

Well, if I had just researched a bit longer I could have answered my own question sooner!
Mamma Mia is going to the Prince of Wales , it's in previews there beginning on May 27.
Feb 4th, 2004, 04:29 PM

Would Lion King appeal to a couple of "over fifty's"? Or is it just for children. I loved the Disney video. I've heard Mamma Mia is great. Which would we like the most do you think?
Feb 4th, 2004, 06:48 PM

"Which would we like the most do you think?"

Well, I don't know you or your tastes enough to guess. But if you loved the Lion King video, then I think you'd flip with the amazing spectacle of bringing it to life.
Mama Mia is great fun, but if you appreciate style and theatrical quality then my GUESS is you'd like Lion King even more. If you just want a really fun evening then my GUESS is you'd prefer Mama Mia.
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:00 PM

Thanks Patrick. You'd probably be guessing right either way. I think anything we do in London will be an event to remember.
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Lion King is amazing.

Have fun in London!

~amelie
Feb 8th, 2004, 02:52 PM

I still have a headache from seeing the movie version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as a kid.