Search

Day Trip to Czesky Krumlov from Prague

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2015, 03:54 AM
ajc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip to Czesky Krumlov from Prague

For those of you who have done this trip, do you recommend going on your own and then taking one of the "free tours" upon arrival. I have read that the Student Agency buses are very nice and take one right near the town, as compared to the train........I like the flexibility of exploring at my own pace, but then wonder if one of the more expensive tours that start in Prague and take you to Czesky are better. Thoughts? Thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 06:44 AM

We did it on our own.
We had our car, went there by ourselves and visited it by ourselves.

But we don't like tours, we like to do it at our pace.
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 07:37 AM

It looks a long way from Prague to Cesky K. Train and regular bus both take some three hours. One way. Check at tour company arrival at and departure times from Cesky.
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 09:04 AM

We NEVER would have discovered the many beautiful vistas and overlooks on our own nor heard the informative history provided. Free tour highly recommended but I believe you need to be there early in the a.m.
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 09:11 AM

I did an organized small gruop bus tour which was very convenient and pretty cheap, I thought. They arranged a special tour for us of the castle, and we stopped in some other places to sightsee just outside CK (some church, I even forget its name). Of course, we got right into town. It's up to you, I didn't want to deal with the transportation logistics and spend time that way. It is true the bus station is closer than the train station.

Those tours are not really that expensive IMO, not sure what you consider expensive though. And they do include some free time, actually. Prague Sightseeing Tours only charges 1890 CK which is only about 70 euro, for example. That includes the entire day, all transportation, the guide, entrance fees, and even lunch. Martin Tours (the one I took) only charges 1600 CK (59 euro), but doesn't include lunch (you are on your own, which I prefer) and doesn't include pickup at your hotel. Their pickup spot was right near my hotel, which is the main reason I picked them. I did use PS Tours for another tour and they were excellent, also.

So I don't think a tour vs. DYI is better one way or another, just preference for handling logistics and timing on your own or not. I'm sure those buses are probably even more comfortable than the transportation used by the tours. PSTours probably uses a bus, which was nice, but Martin Tours used a small van when I went (small group) and it wasn't as comfortable as a nice bus would be, actually. Seats were hard. I think those Student Agency buses cost around 8-10 euro each way. And you have to get to Florenc or Andel metro stop, of course, in Prague, so that takes some time and a little money. I think the castle entry is about 8 euro and a tour maybe about 15 euro? not sure. So DIY you are spending probably around 45 euro DIY.