Reload this Page >

Chioggia vs Verona vs Brenta Canal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 12:00 PM
elaine

Hi <BR>If you were going to do one day trip during a repeat visit to Venice, what would you see as the pluses and minuses of any or all of the above? <BR>Revisiting the sights of Venice, and going out to some of the lagoon islands, are already givens.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 12:11 PM
elvira

Chioggia - Venice on Valium; no tourists, pretty buildings and churches, good food and shopping. <BR> <BR>Brenta Canal - Don't do more than 3 villas in one day, or they'll all blend together in a giant frescoed blur; I'd take the boat tour for the experience. <BR> <BR>Only saw Verona for a nanosecond on a bus trip last century, so can't help there.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Heather

Elaine, sorry to have no input, but am contemplating the same 3 choices for a return visit next Summer. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would love to hear what you decide and why. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip! <BR> <BR>p.s. This year was my 3rd visit and I finally went to Torcello and S. Michele (had visited Burano & Murano 2x). Had heard lousy advice that Torcello wasn't anything special. Certainly not true at all.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 12:54 PM
elaine

Heather <BR>Torcello has always been one of the highlights of Venice for me-- <BR>I'm always glad to hear when others like it as well. <BR> <BR>elvira <BR>Chioggia is on a vaporetto line?

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 01:55 PM
elvira

The easiest way to get to Chioggia is by bus from the Piazzale Roma, but it's over an hour and it's sort of boring. If you want to take the scenic route, be prepared for vaporetto to the Lido, then bus to Pellestrina (which is sort of neat in and of itself) then a ferry to Chioggia. Again over an hour, far more scenic, but a lot of on/off. Maybe boat-bus-boat to, and bus back.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Grandma

Don't know about the Canal.. but would opt for Chioggia. Verona deserves more than a day trip.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:50 PM
Dean Gold

Id reccomend the Scrovengi chapel in Padova befire they are closed off to tourist. Home to Giotto's fresco sysle. amazing. Or Vicenza or Treviso. Verona is too much for a day trip. <BR> <BR>Torcello is amazing. also we love the Murano Collection and F. Schiavon in mUrano, both across from each other right by the vaporetto stop colonna. These are two places with serious art glass. Schiavon also has the usual tourist junk, but also a line of one of a kind pieces by their 30 year old Japanese master.