chinese-canadians travelling to europe

Apr 7th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

chinese-canadians travelling to europe

i'm going to France and Italy at the end of April with 10 other friends. We are all Chinese-Canadians from Toronto. do you think people and businesses in europe will still welcome us with open arms, due to the SARS outbreak and its apparent ethnic relation?
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Also, how about peoples from Hong Kong?
Apr 7th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

i'm very very concerned! anyone any suggestions or advice? should i postpone the trip?
Apr 7th, 2003, 09:40 PM

I can imagine your concern, maybe try the Italian Tourist Board, not that they would be any help, really, but maybe someone who just returned from France or Italy could enlighten you.

If you do postpone, don't cancel your plans entirely, maybe just wait until we all get more information on SARs, then rebook.
Apr 8th, 2003, 01:59 AM

Well, first of all, there is no ethnic relation. The transmission of the disease is not related to ethnicity, but to geography and (in some cases) hygiene habits. But I do understand your concern. My husband is caucasian, but we live in China, and his Italian JV partner recently canceled his planned April 9th trip to Italy over fear of SARS (he does not have it, obviously, they just did not want him to come because we live in China).

If any of you are coughing or sneezing, you may indeed find yourself on the receiving end of glares or jumps away from you . . . but you may not be allowed to fly, anyway (if you're coughing and sneezing, not because you're Chinese!).

You'd have to ask someone on the ground in Italy how pervasive the fear is there. I'm not sure how representative my husband's office is, but I suspect that the average person isn't concerned too much, and that as long as you look healthy, they won't give it a second thought.

On the other hand, this might be the first time in history that Canadians pretend to be Americans in the hopes of receiving better treatment overseas!!
Apr 8th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

thx for the reply! just to clarify, as a health care professional living in toronto, i do understand fully that everyone can get SARS, it is a highly infectious disease. however, since it's originate from china, and a few other south-east asia countries are being hit hard, i'm just worry about businesses in other countries being extremely cautious when hosting or serving chinese people, which could turn out to be a real disappointing experience for us.
Apr 8th, 2003, 05:45 PM

I have been thinking about this too, not beacuse I'm chinese but I do live in Hong Kong and above all I have terrible nasal allergies and I get a bout every 2-3 days! Then my nose is continously running and I sneeze a zillion times and believe me I look fairly miserable. Just wondering what would happen if got a bout just before getting on a flight or during a flight. The altitude does mess up my sinuses too. What strange times!
Apr 9th, 2003, 03:47 AM

If I was working in a hotel I would be worried, not because you are Chinese, but because you are from Toronto. When you check in, you have to show your passport and then I do not know how they will react. The European news about SARS come before the Irak war and everybody knows about it. I do not think that they will welcome you with open arms. Wait a bit.
Apr 9th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Gaia, is it really that most people in europe know about the SARS outbreak in Toronto?? how concerns are they in europe in general?
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:58 AM

Jips - I am also from Canada and a friend of mine from the Toronto area (who is Chinese-Canadian) was in Italy and France and just got back two days ago. She said that she didn't encounter anything negative at all. I think most people realize that the whole ethnic relation to SARS (and anything else for that matter) is sterotypical. As a 'white' person I could just as well go to France and have SARS for all they know.
In short, I wouldn't worry about it and don't let these concerns put a damper on your trip - enjoy yourself!

(and if you're in Paris don't miss Musee d'Orsay, I'm not a huge museum person but it was FANTASTIC!)