Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   China Reject Shops, London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/china-reject-shops-london-381293/)

Chels Dec 9th, 2003 09:42 AM

China Reject Shops, London

Hello,

I will be in London for a weekend. I have read a lot on this site about the China Reject Shops. Can anyone tell me the location with the larger variety of china, as well as directions via Tube? (I'd really like some eggcups!) My husband will be with me so I suspect my china-shopping time will be limited!

Also, are these shops open on Sundays? Any other recommendations for china shopping? (Reasonable prices, please!)

As always, thanks in advance for the advice!

jody Dec 9th, 2003 10:13 AM

The shop on Beauchamp place has 2 floors of china. The closet tube would be either Knightsbridge or even South Kensington. From the front of Harrod's walk down toward the V and A and it's right on the corner of Knightsbridge and Beauchamp Place. I don't know if it;s opens on sundays however.

obxgirl Dec 9th, 2003 10:15 AM

The Reject China Shops are all over London. There's one in Covent Garden and like many of CV's shops, it is open on Sunday. Don't know about all the others though.

Chels Dec 10th, 2003 09:31 PM

Thanks so much for the information! (My husband is already complaining...)

mclaurie Dec 11th, 2003 03:38 AM

John Lewis is a department store that also has a large selection of china and other household wares.

elaine Dec 11th, 2003 05:23 AM

That location between Harrods and the V&A is a good shop.
I bought from them on my last visit, and probably will again on this next one later this month.
I had a number of things shipped, and everything was packed beautifully, and arrived promptly. Yes the shipping is an expense that offsets the bargains, but I still felt that I got good deals on what I bought in quantity.

Chels Dec 11th, 2003 01:32 PM

Thanks; the China Reject shop near Harrods is on my list. Where is the John Lewis department store? Is it near a tube stop?

Thanks again,
Chels

obxgirl Dec 11th, 2003 01:38 PM

John Lewis is all over England and Scotland but the big store in London is on Oxford Street, a city block or so from the Oxford Circus tube station.

Zeus Dec 11th, 2003 03:04 PM

A question for Londoners - Was the Reject China Shop currently located on Beauchamp in a different building years ago? On my last trip to London I expected it to be on the opposite side of the street and in a bigger building. Frankly, I was quite disappointed this time. Back in the '80's I used to find some real nice stuff.

jody Dec 11th, 2003 03:13 PM

It's been in the same location for at least the last 20 years that I know of! There is another china shop across from Harrod's and a bit down on the right ..maybe that is what you are thinking of.I can;t remember the name of it though.

baker Dec 11th, 2003 03:36 PM

I still have Coca Cola glasses I bought at the China Reject shop in the 70's; just wondering if they'd be worth anything now. Anyone know?

rex Dec 11th, 2003 03:55 PM

You can find everything you ever wanted to know about Coca cola glasses on ebay.com - - there's an entire category just for Coca Cola glasses. This is just a snapshot time, but there are currently 654 auctions in progress in that category, and 1555 recently completed auctions.

Best wishes,

Rex

Chels Dec 11th, 2003 08:52 PM

Thanks, all. I am off in a few hours!

Regards,
Chels

tandnb Dec 13th, 2003 08:13 AM

I was in London in October and the Reject China Shop in Covent Garden is now closed. The website for the business is www.chinacraft.co.uk ( there is a retail shop in Duty Free at Gatwick). The store near Harrod's is still there and doing quite well.