Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Children's Playground in Kensington Gardens

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 11:59 PM
z

Can anyone tell me the location of the children's play area in Kensington Gardens? Info about the nearest gate or major landmark (e.g. in relation to Round Pond) would be greatly appreciated.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 02:59 AM
Ben Haines

The playground is in the northwest corner of Kensington Gardens, at the north end of the Broad Walk, 200 yards from Queensway tube station, through Black Lion Gate.

Welcome to London

Ben Haines

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 03:28 AM
amy

Can't resist a comment since I just returned from London and my hotel was close to Kensington Park and the playground. Adults without children can enter at 9:30 AM (get the attention of a worker to open the gate)...before the children are allowed in at 10 AM. It is a magical place.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Cindy

It's magical after the children arrive, too! My kids and my husband and I just loved it! Afterwards you can go and eat at the Orangery. Oh, by the way, do try to get off on the stop nearest the playground. We got off the bus near the middle of the park, thinking that it would be near the Peter Pan statue, and had a long walk to get there.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 07:56 AM
z

Thanks for the replies. They've been pasted into my trip plan.

I agree with your observations about playgrounds. They're magical in more ways than one. They're a way for kids to experience local culture at their own level, blow off some steam, and are the perfect intermission between a couple of museums. And oh yes, they're free or close to it.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 09:48 AM
David White

Z,

This may be the best playground in central London...if you'd like to see a short article I wrote about the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Playground, you can look here:

http://www.kidstolondon.com/parks/dianaplayground.html

David White

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:51 AM
tops

topping for peter pan

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:53 AM
David White

There's also a great Peter Pan-inspired playground in Kensington Gardens....I topped the posting on this board if you want to read about it

Dave White
http://www.KidsToLondon.com