Children's Passport/plane seats

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 02:38 PM
markizzy

Children's Passport/plane seats

Will my 15 mo. old daughter need a passport to go to Europe? If not, what ID do we need? Also, does Delta charge a fare for her?

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 02:42 PM
Beth

I'm pretty sure everybody needs a passport. It may not need to be a separate one. You can probably have her added to yours. Check out travel.state.gov for all sorts of passport info.

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 03:25 PM
Glenn

Yes, you will need a passport for your child. We just got back from Germany with our 4 month old and we had to get a passport for her. We were charged a 10% cost of my ticket for tour baby. She is not entitled to a seat. You would get a basinett from the airline when you sit in a bulkhead seat. I don't know the cutoff age that the airline states that you need to buy a seat for your child. I did read that the government will be making the airlines put all children in a child seat sometime in the future (maybe a year or so)

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 03:45 PM
ilisa

All people, regardless of age, need a passport. Regarding seats for children, you do not need to purchase a seat for children under the age of 2. If you do not, just about all airlines charge 10% of the regular fare. If you purchase a seat, just about all airlines offer a 50% discount. Request a bassinet seat, though there is no guarantee that you will get one.

Old Dec 30th, 1999, 06:04 AM
markizzy

Glenn, how do I get her added to my passport? Any suggestions from anyone if it's worth the extra $200-250 to purchase a seat for a 15 month old (this will be in Jan. '01)?

Old Dec 30th, 1999, 07:43 AM
pam

You can't get her added to your passport; they don't do that anymore. She'll have to have her own. If you haven't applied for a Social SEcurity # for her yet, do that first: you'll need it for the passport application. Go to http://travel.state.gov and you'll find passport services, FAQs, downloadable passport applications and much more. As far as airfare is concerned, you used to be able to hold children <2yrs on your lap (domestically; not sure about international flights), but I would consider the ramifications of having to hold a child for an entire flight. Check w/ your airline for your optio

Old Dec 30th, 1999, 08:03 AM
ilisa

I would like to address the question if it's worth paying $200-$250 for a 15 month old. Are you saying your child's life is not worth that? In the event of severe turbulence, a child not strapped into a seat can be seriously injured or killed. This is fact, not speculation. If this happened, g-d forbid, will you be saying "But look at all the money I saved!"? If you can't see yourself spending the money on a seat for your child, then you should consider not taking your trip.

Old Dec 30th, 1999, 08:09 AM
pam

Amen, Ilisa.

Old Dec 30th, 1999, 05:13 PM
Tawnya

Purchase your baby a seat. It will be well worth your sanity as well as her safety. I work for a major airline and I am a parent of 3. Ask about discounts for sure. They should be 50% off the lowest applicable fare.

Old Jan 1st, 2000, 10:27 AM
kc

Everyone else has answered these well, but here's my .02 - We went to London in October with our two-month-old. She was GREAT - cried exactly twice for a total of about two minutes out of eight hours. We did not purchase a seat for her and she used the bassinet. Nevertheless, doing it again, I would have bought the seat. If your daughter is 15 months old, she'll be squirmier and sleep less than a two-month-old, and you will all appreciate having the extra "personal space." Safety is, of course, your first concern, but I'd rank comfort a very close second. At her age, the more room she has to "camp out," the happier you all will be. <BR> <BR>And you do need the passport. You can get it rushed to you - we got one in about two weeks. Have a great trip!

Old Jan 2nd, 2000, 03:48 PM
Glenn

A concern was raised about the safety of a basinett seat with turbulance. On the basinett we had on our return flight, there was a very wide buckel that went across the top of the basinett. I had a concern about the turbulance until I saw the belt. If you bring a child seat on the plane and use it on your trip (car rental) You may have an issue with the seat fitting into the airline seat. We had an Airbus 340 going to Germany and we had an empty seat next to us and we put the car seat in and our baby was in the car seat the entrie trip. Coming back to the US we were on a Boeing 747 in the bulkhead seat, the car seat did not fit. We had to use the Basinett seat, since the arm reats did not raise. <BR>Just some food for thought.