Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Children in Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/children-in-venice-62611/)

Nique wilson Feb 14th, 2000 08:32 AM

Children in Venice?

Planning on Italy this summer. We are leaning towards Venice. We have (2) girls ages 6/8. Is this where we want to go? Any recomendations on family hotels? Would appreciate any information.

Paulo Feb 14th, 2000 09:44 AM

The first time my girls went to Venice (aged 5/6) they thought it much better than Disneyland :-) Riding the vaporettos, up and down bridges, water all over the place, climbing to the top of the Campanile, visiting the dungeons of the Ducal Palace and crossing the Sospiri brdige from within, visiting the Naval Museum ... you name it. If there's one unique kid-city in the world that must be Venice. <BR>Regarding accomodations, I can't help you much. The first time we went there we were based in Montegrotto Terme and went by train on day trips. Next time up they were already old enough to go to the youth hostel by themselves (we stayed a hotel). So I have never looked for quadruples in Venice. <BR>Once upon a time (when my brother and I were respectively 10/11) my parents stayed at the ***Rialto. but I can't recall if we were on a quadruple or two doubles. I understand that the moderately (for Venice) priced American Hotel has standard triples ... and you may sneak an extra bed in. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Nique Feb 15th, 2000 02:32 AM

Thank you Paulo, <BR>Can you give me an idea of what area to seek lodging to minimize walking for the children.

JohnC Feb 15th, 2000 02:43 AM

We're heading there in a few days, with our kids aged 11, 13 and 16. Staying near San Marco at Hotel Campiello. Room for five at 390,000 L with breakfast. (I guess it'd be more in summer). I'll post a report when we return. Ciao.

Paulo Feb 15th, 2000 05:22 AM

Actually, Nique, in Venice you don't need to worry about minimizing walking distances. The city is actually very small and very well served with a vaporetto network. There's no hotel in Venice that's located farther than 400 meters from a vaporetto stop. Even if you had to cross the whole city walking it wouldn't take more than half hour. The whole fun in Venice is strolling around as much as possible. Go visit some of the "starred" sites and reserve the rest of the time to stroll through the various sestieri. Because of the waterways, boats, bridges and the like, kids appear not to tire at all. You'll certainly cross the Canal Grande quite a few times. Here ane there use the traghetto (a gondola where you travel standing) to cross it instead of using a bridge. Kids love it! <BR>BTW, when are you going? <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Nique Feb 15th, 2000 06:38 AM

Paulo, <BR>Have anywhere from last week in June to end of August (you replied to my other posting "Summer in Italy?"). Have not arranged flights. We need to make up our minds on destination first. So far, your information on Venice excites me. Because of cost, I think 6-7 days in Venice adequate. Would appreciate additional recomendations for a place to meet family (see "Summer in Italy posting). Where do you recommend I look for air fares?

carol Feb 19th, 2000 10:06 PM

I stayed at the American Hotel with my mother, my sister and my two year old. We had a double and a single (my two year old slept with me.) A charming little hotel in a quiet area (Venice is quiet, though.) We enjoyed the little shops nearby, that were more reasonably priced than the ones near San Marco square. My toddler loved chasing the pigeons there. <BR> <BR>This is an enchanting city and not hard to walk around in. Very peaceful. Have your girls listened to the CD Vivaldi's Ring of Mystery? My five year old loves this story and wants to go to Venice. I tell him stories of when he was a two year old and travelled there with his grandmother, his aunt and his mom. <BR> <BR>I would would spend less than 6-7 days there with young children, however. I think 3-5 would be enough to enjoy it--if you are planning other sites in Italy. While Venice is sublime, I think a few days may go a long way with children. Venice lovers may wish to strike me dead, however. <BR> <BR>Have fun.

Chau Nguyen Feb 20th, 2000 07:20 AM

Dear Nique, <BR> <BR>Your girls will love Venice. I took my boy and mother last year in mid-April. He was 4 then. He loved the pigeons and San Marco. The gondolas, water everywhere, bridges, gelato ice cream, pizza, everything. I dragged him everywhere and he never complained. Was quite a trooper. As others have said, wherever you stay, you are never far from sites. We stayed in a 1 star hotel(that's all we could afford in Venice) and it was fine. 3 single beds. We learned the back way to San Marco and could get there in less than 5 min, even w/ child. If you have time, visit Verona, another favorite city of mine,w/o high price and crowds. It's about 1 hr (?) train drive from Venice. <BR>Have a great time! <BR>