Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Children in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/children-in-paris-201538/)

Peggi Apr 17th, 2002 01:15 PM

Children in Paris

We've been to Paris three times but this is the first time we're taking our children, who are ages 10 and 12. We will be there just a couple of nights at the end of 2 weeks in Alsace-Lorraine. What are the "must-see's" for their first time in Paris??

d Apr 17th, 2002 01:20 PM

la tour eiffel???

Think Apr 17th, 2002 01:25 PM

Duh, the Louvre

robbie Apr 17th, 2002 04:24 PM

We took our 13 yr. old grandson to Paris last year. He was fascinated with the museums at Des Invalides-Napoleon's tomb.<BR> He also loved having dinner in the Eiffel Tower at Altitudes. It's the more moderately priced restaurant.<BR> I know your children will have a wonderful time.

Alyssa Apr 17th, 2002 06:05 PM

Hi Peggi,<BR><BR>We are also taking the kids for the first time in two weeks (12 & 16), we have been as well. We are only spending three days and then on to Italy. <BR><BR>I think I am going to stick with all of the main sights for them. The Eiffel Tower, a walk up the Champs to the Arc De Triomphe, The Louvre, crepes in the Tuileries Garden, Place Vendome, Napoleans Tomb. <BR><BR>I would rather let them get in the main stuff that they know then try to go off the beaten path for their first time there. I know they will be amazed just to see the different culture. Probably sounds really touristy but oh well, they'll enjoy it! Have a great trip and enjoy!!<BR><BR>Alyssa

catherine Apr 17th, 2002 07:48 PM

I would see the Musee D'Orsay over the Louvre. My children (11 & 14) seemed to enjoy it more. The main reason we went to the Louvre was of course to see Ms. Lisa. A huge disappointment. She's behind a huge plexiglass pane and you can't get right up to the painting to study it as there is a rope keeping you away. The worst part was the glare from all the flashes going off (even though there are signs everywhere forbidding them.)<BR><BR>Definitely the Eiffel Tower. The kids really loved that. (Not to mention the pistachio ice cream cones across the street from it.)<BR><BR>Notre Dame is really beautiful if they're into architechture and history.<BR><BR>My husband took our 11 year old over to Luxemberg gardens where she got to run around the paths and take a ride on a donkey.<BR><BR>Oddly enough the 11 year olds favorite moment was buying a bright red pair of what appear to be bowling shoes. Go figure. The 14 year old's favorite moment was touring Monet's Gardens/Home in Giverny (about an hour out of Paris.)

Ronda Apr 17th, 2002 07:59 PM

My teens spent some time watching the cars go around the Arch de Triomphe (from the top) trying to figure out if the cars were going to collide and wondering how do they do that?

Ben Haines Apr 17th, 2002 08:34 PM

To the e-mail copy this message I am attching a note I keeep on disc of what Fodors forum users have said their children liked during visits to Paris. I am afraid it is too long for two days.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>