Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Children friendly London theatre in January

Aug 18th, 2006, 12:02 AM
g2g
Original Poster

Will be travelling in London in January. Looking for good theatre to take kids age 6 and 10 to. Have seen Billy Elliot, Lion King and Mary Poppins. Any news on Dirty Dancing or 7 brides for 7 brothers? Any other suggestions welcome. Dont want to see blue man group, as it is playing locally for us.
Aug 18th, 2006, 02:50 AM

Pantomimes run until after Christmas, and are traditionally for all the family:
http://www.its-behind-you.com/

Suburban theatres like Richmond, Wimbledon and Greenwich have good reputations for their pantos.

I see Mark Ravenhill is doing one for the Barbican, though I suspect that may be much more adult in orientation.

Seven Brides didn't get a good review from my paper, but no doubt it's all a question of tastes.
Aug 18th, 2006, 02:52 AM

There's a review of 7 brides on the Evening Standard website; www.thisislondon.co.uk.

Would they perhaps like Mamma Mia?
Aug 18th, 2006, 03:29 AM

At that time of year, I'd definitely go for a panto, great fun with lots of audience participation/
Aug 18th, 2006, 03:30 AM

Would strongly recommend Wicked and Enchanted. There will opening a new production of Porgy and Bess.

Not exactly a theatre, but you might want to check out Royal Ballet schedule for the winter season if they enjoy ballet.
Aug 18th, 2006, 03:35 AM

Another often overlooked option is the Unicorn Theatre for Children on the South Bank near London Bridge

http://www.unicorntheatre.com/
Aug 18th, 2006, 04:25 AM

a panto would also introduce you to a unique british cultural feature. it is also designed to appeal equally to adults and children. double meanings (usually sexual) amuse the adults whilst children have a laugh over the gag or the simple level of the joke.

however, it is not everyone's cup of tea. i don't particularly enjoy that type gag of humour. much of the humour that is aimed at adults can be about very localised things and require knowledge of local news and political and other figures in order to get the humour. for example, i would doubt that americans would be amused by jokes about jeffery archer or david cameron. that said, i know that at least a few people from abroad have posted here about pantos and did not mention this as a problem. i guess it depends on the production but every one that i went to (maybe five) did feature local humour prominently. they are clearly not produced for overseas tourists as many other shows are.
Aug 18th, 2006, 05:11 AM

Phantom of the Opera would be one option. Or the new production of the Sound of Music, which I believe is due to open in the autumn.

Panto is great fun too (although as others have mentioned, the cultural references/local jokes might prove a bit bewildering).
Aug 18th, 2006, 08:45 AM
g2g
Original Poster

What is enchanted? I will look into Pantomines. Sound of music would be great as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

I agree wicked is great, but we have hit that one already.
Aug 18th, 2006, 09:05 AM

Do you know what the title Dirty Dancing refers to? I would think it completely inappropriate for either, but especially a 6 yr old. I haven't seen the show, but if it is mainly the same plot as the movie, it involves an illegal abortion, and a young girl's first sexual experience -- in between the dirty dancing. Now I really liked the movie, and all the dancing and actors, but can't imagine why a parent would take young children to that.

Aug 18th, 2006, 09:17 AM

I would second the panto. We saw Aladdin at the Old Vic two January's ago. We are American adults with no particular knowledge of London or British current events and it was great fun the show and the audience and a great old theater.
Aug 21st, 2006, 06:29 AM

You can sign up for email updates, including one on London theatre for children, at:

www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk

That's the Society of London Theatre website--probably the best source for info on theatrical offering in London, in my opinion.

Dave
dw*KidsToLondon.com
(email: replace '*' with '@')
Aug 21st, 2006, 08:00 AM

If you want to take in the Sound of Music, you and your family might like to follow the BBC program "How Do You Solve a Problem like Maria?" where (now) seven Maria hopefuls are competing for the title roll in the new production. You can see some video from the show on the BBC web site:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/maria/index.shtml
P.S. Our vote is with Connie.