Children and public transport in London

Old Mar 19th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Children and public transport in London

Bringing my children, ages 15 and 18, to London in April. I've been dunning my daughter to give me a photograph of herself suitable for submitting to Transport for London so as to order her Zip Oyster card, but the deadline has now passed and so that won't be happening (though I do now finally have a couple of photos of her---she is very camera shy).

So now it looks like I'll be purchasing her single day Travelcards, as per this excerpt from the web site:

Accompanied Child Day Travelcard
Adults who have a Travelcard, which can be of any zonal combination, can buy child-rate Off-Peak Day Travelcards (valid in zones 1-9) at a reduced price of £1 each for up to four children aged 11-15 inclusive when they travel with them.

My question is whether this means that I'll have to use a Travelcard myself (rather than PAYG Oyster). I gather that it does, and since we'll be using the public transit quite a bit that's probably not a bad thing. And I suppose that I could just go ahead and get paper travelcards from National Rail so as to take advantage of 2-for-1 possibilities.

If there's an obvious cheaper way I'd be delighted to hear about it.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

It's a sad, sad little post out there all by itself. Even a "yes, you're correct" will be appreciated.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 09:32 AM

If you have an oyster card then your daughter is OK. The "travelcard" is really a description of the ticket rather than the means on which it is carried.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Yes, but then it's not a PAYG Oyster card, but an Oyster card loaded with a travelcard, right?
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 10:21 AM

I'm going to guess that TfL means a daily or weekly pass (Travelcard) is required for the adult. This is because PAYG is like buying single tickets, albeit at a reduced (Oyster) rate, and with a cap. But I doubt if they intend for you to take one ride on a ticket and buy a kid's Travelcard, which is what using a PAYG would entail.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 10:59 AM

I can't see how the machines would know. And the ticket people are usually pretty easy on tourists.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Some update on this query in case somebody else should come across this thread.

So far as I could tell the machines don't sell this ticket. Or perhaps they do and I couldn't find them, or perhaps they do at some machines and not others.

I did end up buying these at the ticket windows and found that the agents were variously interested in (1) seeing the child so as to make sure that she looked young enough, (2) asking me her age (15, the oldest possible for this ticket, though nobody asked me to prove it with her passport or other ID), (3) asking me whether she'd be traveling with me, and (4) asking what sort of ticket I was using (with Travelcard card being satisfactory---I never asked if Oyster PAYG would have sufficed, and I'm guessing not).

Oh, and the easy way to ask for this ticket is "kid for a quid."