Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Chic luggage? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/chic-luggage-200438/)

Meg Oct 29th, 2001 11:51 AM

Chic luggage?

Now that I've got most of the practical travel planning done, I can move on to the more frivolous. I'm looking for a new suitcase and I'd like something chic, not another black Samsonite (not that there's anything wrong with that). I'm emphatically anti-backpack, I just want a carry-on or slightly bigger. Living in New York, I just visited the Flight 001 store (they have a great website www.flight001.com) which is very hip, but a little mod for me. Other that shelling out a ton of money for Kate Spade or the like, any suggestions? Thanks! I'm going for 8 days to Italy, BTW.

Marc David Miller Oct 29th, 2001 01:16 PM

The Syms store on Park/55 has a small but good selection; also many Marshall's have a luggage department.

grasshopper Oct 29th, 2001 01:28 PM

Check out ebags.com At least you will get an idea of what's out there.

pastis Oct 29th, 2001 01:29 PM

Meg I have been using the same one for years(with wheels) that I bought at the Christmas store for $30. My friend bought a very chic french one and it didn't survive the abuse the handlers put it through. Put the added money to a better bottle of wine or restaurant.

mia Oct 29th, 2001 01:29 PM

After buying too much too expensive luggage, and traveling a lot-I have a small bit of advice...don't buy anything black-and don't buy anything that someone would want to steal.When we wait for our black luggage to come down that carrousel, there are a million other bags that look exactly like it, I put colored tape on the bottom so I can pick it out of the crowd! and I read that a young woman spent a lot of dollars on a name brand (logo) luggage, and it was stolen = first time out! So,that is all I have to say on that subject, hope it was helpful and enjoy using that luggage :)-M

mark Oct 29th, 2001 05:18 PM

Pick up an issue of Wallpaper. <BR> <BR>Or take the black stuff and when you get to Italy buy some new bags. I saw some terrific luggage while in Rome but I had just bought a couple Tumi pieces for that trip. When I go back to Rome in the next year - I will defintely buy some new additonal pieces.

Patrick Oct 29th, 2001 07:04 PM

I've always been told in addition to the chic, expensive luggage being more likely to be stolen, it is also the first to be opened or gone through by baggage handlers or others. I guess they feel that if the person spent a fortune for the luggage there must be something really good inside.

Meg Oct 30th, 2001 04:56 AM

Thanks all for your advise, I hadn't thought about good luggage getting stolen. I think I may go with a Mandarina Duck bag from Flight 001, very practical and well made. Of course, they are made in Italy, but I need it now. Now I wonder, if I'm spending a lot of time running onto trains and ferries, should I get something I can carry or something with wheels? I've found wheeled suitcases typically heavy and cumbersome, with a tendency to tip over at inopportune moments, but they can be very useful.

Ursula Oct 30th, 2001 05:00 AM

I love Hedgren lightweight luggage. Looks good and is very convenient. <BR>www.hedgren.be

tiredofheavybags Oct 30th, 2001 05:37 AM

Regardless of what amount of walking/carrying you plan to do, get something light as possible and with wheels..you never know what could happen that you would have to carry your own luggage farther than you want~

Sue Oct 30th, 2001 11:52 AM

Spend your money on expensive carryon that you absolutely love and keep it with you at all times. Then buy an inexpensive suitcase that you can check without worrying - a black Samsonite would be perfect!

Rod Hoots Oct 30th, 2001 12:24 PM

My observation is that the only people impressed by expensive, chic luggage ar thieves.

Nobodywants Oct 30th, 2001 01:02 PM

We have emerald green Land's End duffel type bags with shoulder straps that we have used for years. No heavy wheels and we are light packers so they are easy to carry (and we are over 60.) Before 9/11 we carried them on, even on BA. I don't think anyone would think of stealing these un-chic bags!

elvira Oct 30th, 2001 01:18 PM

I saw a suitcase come off the carousel - leopard print tapestry. I want that bag. Chic, but not chi-chi...

K Oct 30th, 2001 06:20 PM

Meg, I bought Tumi a couple of years ago. Plain black, they do not attract attention, but they roll like a dream and have a registry sewn inside, so if lost, might be retrievable. I travel for a month with 2 of the carry-on size bags. I think they were the best luggage purchase I have ever made. I have had Samsonite and Hartmann in the past.

Andy Oct 30th, 2001 08:30 PM

Meg- at the rate of destruction of luggage by the airlines, go straight to Marshall's or TJ MAXX---do not pass go! <BR>I buy a set from Marshall's about every 5 years--I never spend more than $150 for 3 pcs--If it dies first shot out,the airlines picks up the tab-- if it tears,the airlines fixes it.... <BR> <BR>Years ago I had the most gorgeous Gucci carryon duffle bag--well,it was too full to carry on ,so USAIR made me check it--when it came off the rounder it was TORN!!!! USAIR had the nerve to say to me :" how dare you carry such expensive luggage!"--My reply was" how dare you destroy it--now you'll have to replace it!"---which they DID do... <BR>I vowed never again did I want to worry about expensive luggage and I don't....

Meg Nov 9th, 2001 12:12 PM

To answer my own question, I just ordered a really cool red Swiss Army E-Motion bag. It's very practical, carry-on, has wheels, converts to a backpack and has lots of neat features. Decided against Mandarina Duck, as I could get it in Italy for cheaper. BTW, I got a fantastic deal on the bag, $216.75 total from luggageman.com, it was $350 in stores. Thanks for all the advice!